Buses stoned in Thiruvananthapuram shutdown
Thiruvananthapuram: Fifteen buses were stoned and two drivers injured in a dusk-to-dawn shutdown called by the Communist Party of India-Marxist (CPI-M) in Thiruvananthapuram district on Saturday.
The shutdown was to protest Friday`s police action against irate CPI-M youth activists, who set two government vehicles and a police jeep ablaze in the district over the latest hike in petrol prices.
"We will not tolerate protesters taking law into their hands and, if they do, the government will have to act tough," Chief Minister Oomen Chandy said but announced that the state government would forgo the incremental tax accruing to it from the petrol price hike.
It means a relief of 70 paise per litre to petrol users in Kerala.
In the previous petrol price hike, after Chandy took over, the Congress-led United Democratic Front state government decided to forgo the tax and the prices came down by Rs 1.22 per litre.
During Friday`s shutdown over petrol price hike, educational institutions remained closed, private buses were off the roads, the state transport operated skeletal services, and office attendances were minimal.
Meanwhile, the Motor Employees Union said that all taxis and autorickshaws would stay off the roads statewide on Monday.
This is the first shutdown called by the Left opposition after the Oomen Chandy government took office on May 18.
The price of petrol went up by Rs 3.14 per litre to touch Rs 69.54 in Kerala on Friday.
For more news in Malayalam, click www.zeemalayalam.com
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Highlights - India vs England 2nd ODI in Cuttack
- Donald Trump to be sworn in as 45th US President today
- Etah: School bus collides with truck, several children killed
- Exclusive: Srinagar freezes at minus 3; common man struggles for basic commodities
- J&K: LeT militant gunned down by security forces in Bandipora
- WATCH: MS Dhoni asks Jasprit Bumrah to go easy after he hurriedly ran out England skipper Eoin Morgan
- WATCH: How MS Dhoni saved Yuvraj Singh's wicket with another successful DRS review
- IND vs ENG, 2nd ODI: Yuvraj Singh silences critics with 14th ODI hundred, fourth against England — WATCH
- India vs England: After Virender Sehwag, Sachin Tendulkar gives Piers Morgan cricketing gyan
- Donald Trump's Inauguration Day: As it happened