Businessman offers Rs 5 lakh to woman for opposing LDF blockade
Thiruvananthapuram: A young housewife here has been offered a reward of Rs five lakh by a businessman for challenging the CPI-M-led LDF opposition activists who were staging blockade of `Cliff House`, the official residence of Chief Minister Oommen Chandy here.
The housewife Sandhya protested to the leaders after she found that the road leading to the place where she was residing was barricaded by police in view of the LDF stir when she was returning after dropping her children at a local school.
The housewife Sandhya, a resident near the `Cliff House` area, had a heated argument with LDF leaders in front the road leading to the Chief Minister`s house yesterday over the hardships faced by common people due to the blockade.
"In recognition of her bravery to challenge a gigantic party and to encourage such movement, I am offering an amount of Rs five lakh to her," Kochouseph Chittilappilly, Chairman of V-Guard Industries, told local TV channels on Friday.
He also said more people should come forward to oppose such modes of protest which cripple normal life.
Reacting to the offer, Sandhya said she was happy and it was an encouragement for others to react against such protests.
Taking a cue from the woman`s protest yesterday, a group of Resident Assocations today took out a protest march in the area demanding freedom of movement.
After discussion with police and LDF leaders, it was agreed that a passage would be kept open for small vehicles and two-wheelers. The protesters dispersed after an assurance that a meeting would be held with police officials later.
As part of the second phase of their stir demanding Chandy`s resignation in connection with the solar panel scam, the LDF`s 140-day agitation entered the fifth day today. The blockade of the CM`s residence was a part of the protest after the scam came to light in June this year.
The scam pertained to alleged financial cheating by the accused Saritha S Nair and Biju Radhakrishnan by offering them solar energy solutions. The scam snowballed into a major political row after the arrest of a personal assistant in Chandy`s office for allegedly aiding the accused.
Though, the Congress-led UDF government under pressure ordered a judicial probe by a retired High Court Judge, the LDF were not satisfied as they wanted the probe to be carried out by a sitting High Court judge.
- Discussion over Mamata Banerjee's close aide Firhad Hakim's 'mini Pakistan' comment
- Discussion over Mamata Banerjee's close aide Firhad Hakim's mini Pakistan comment-Part II
- Discussion over Mamata Banerjee's close aide Firhad Hakim's mini Pakistan comment-Part III
- Discussion over Mamata Banerjee's close aide Firhad Hakim's mini Pakistan comment-Part IV
- Dr. Subhash Chandra Show: Importance of time management
- Forest fires threaten to wipe out 1,500 villages in Uttarakhand, NDRF, IAF step in to mitigate crisis, govt issues alert
- World's richest temple mulls moving 7.5 tonne gold under monetisation scheme
- Six-year-old falls in borewell in Maharashtra, rescue operation on
- Want FIR against guilty before further probe on Adarsh Society scam: BJP
- Beware, women! Stress can worsen HPV infection