Campaigning for crucial Piravom by poll ends
Kochi: Campaigning for the crucial March 17 by poll to Piravom assembly constituency ended this evening, with both the ruling Congress led United Democratic Front (UDF) and CPI (M) led Left Democratic Front (LDF) expressing
optimism over the outcome.
The by poll was necessitated following the death of former minister T M Jacob, father of Anoop Jacob. It had reduced the UDF strength in the 140 member assembly to 71. In the LDF camp, the recent resignation of Neyyatinkara
MLA Selvaraj has reduced its strength to 67.
UDF candidate Anoop Jacob, who is making his debut in the electoral arena and LDF veteran, M J Jacob, came together at Piravom this evening to woo voters. K R Rajagopal is the BJP candidate.
While the LDF, taken aback by the resignation of its Neyyatinkara MLA R Selvaraj, hit back at the UDF saying they were encouraging "horse trading", the rival front said the resignation showed that all was not well in the Marxist party led front.
The unsavoury remarks made by Opposition leader in the assembly V S Achutanandan against former SFI activist Sindhu Joy was also used by the UDF to the hilt to woo voters.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Exiled Kashmiri Pandits share their heart wrenching stories
- Basic ideals of Constitution are in danger: Sonia Gandhi
- PM Modi greets nation on occasion of first Constitution Day
- Manjula Vaghela's journey: From rag picker to head of a firm with Rs 1 cr turnover!
- Indian Army faces shortage of field firing ranges in J&K
- Woman commits suicide after heated discussion with husband over Aamir Khan's intolerance remark
- Eat smart to slow down ageing and increase longevity!
- Intolerance issue: Those attacking me are only proving my point, says Aamir Khan – Read full statement
- Setback to Kejriwal-led AAP as MLA Akhilesh Tripathi arrested in riot case
- 10 interesting facts about Constitution which every Indian must know