Cardinal Mar George Alencherry leaves for Rome
Kochi: Cardinal Mar George Alencherry, head of the Syro Malabar Catholic Church, Monday left for Vatican to attend the conclave of cardinals who will be electing the new Pope.
The other cardinal from Kerala, Mar Baselios Cleemis, Head of the Syro Malankara church, is expected to leave for Rome early tomorrow.
The two are among the five cardinals from India who have voting rights to elect the new Pope.
Cardinal Alencherry was likely to be back in Kerala by March 20, church sources said.
Pope Benedict XVI, the 85-year-old Pontiff, had earlier this month announced his intention to retire.
For more news in Malayalam, click www.zeemalayalam.com
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Indian Army targets terror camps across LoC; Pak PM Sharif condemns
- 7 terror camps destroyed by Indian Army in surgical strikes
- Indian Army surgical strike: Pak rejects claim, says 2 soldiers killed
- Is it time for India to respond militarily to Pak terror instead of peace talks?
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- SALUTE! Brave Indian army commandos give befitting reply to Pak-sponsored terrorists
- Surgical strikes across LoC in Pakistan were filmed, videos kept as proof
- US NSA Susan Rice calls Ajit Doval, says 'expect Pakistan to take action against terror’
- Did Arvind Kejriwal tweet in favour of Pakistan over Uri attacks? Here is what Twitter says