Case against Chandy`s ex-gunman: LDF walkout in Assembly
Thiruvananthapuram: The CPI(M)-led LDF opposition staged a walkout in the Kerala Assembly on Monday charging the UDF government with trying to sabotage two land grab cases involving a former gunman of Chief Minister Oommen Chandy.
Rejecting Chandy`s assertion that the government would not shield the wrong doers, Opposition Leader V S Achuthanandan led his colleagues out of the House.
The issue was raised during Zero Hour by former home minister Kodiyeri Balakrishnan (CPI-M) and the House witnessed a heated debate for nearly 45 minutes between the opposition and treasury benches.
Balakrishnan alleged that Salim Raj, a former gunman of Chandy -- who was removed from his office in the backdrop of the solar scam-- was involved in attempts to grab vast stretches of land at Kadakampally in Thiruvananthapuram and Kalamassery in Ernakulam.
In both cases, he had misused his influence with the CM`s office to appropriate land owned by others through illegal means, the CPI(M) leader alleged.
Opposing LDF`s demand for an adjournment on the issue, Revenue Minister Adoor Prakash said necessary steps had been taken by the government in the matter and the case was now pending in the High Court.
Later, Chandy said the government had nothing to hide and no attempts were made to protect any offender. Investigations had been conducted and the matter was before the court, he added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion on clashes at JNU over Afzal Guru row
- DNA: JNU students clash over Afzal Guru row
- JNU students call terrorist Afzal Guru a martyr amid anti-nationalist slogans
- PM Modi breaks protocol to receive Abu Dhabi Crown Prince Al Nahyan
- Panel discussion on clashes at JNU over Afzal Guru row- Part II
- Drunk girl creates ruckus in Delhi's Connaught Place; arrested - Watch
- JNU erupts over 'Shaheed Afzal Guru', 'Azad Kashmir'; rival student groups clash, police deployed
- AAP poster showing Arvind Kejriwal with Bhindranwale sparks row in Punjab
- Video of Hanumanthappa's rescue that went viral on social media is fake - Watch
- Digangana Suryavanshi chops off her mane on Salman Khan's advice—See pics!