Case registered against CPI-M leader
Kannur: In more embarrassment for CPI-M, a case was registered against a top party functionary for allegedly threatening police probing an IUML worker`s murder even as a state committee member allegedly asked cadres to store `chilli water` at their homes to use it against police.
The two developments come even as the party is struggling to battle the controversy stirred by the speech of Idukki District CPI-M Secretary MM Mani that the party had eliminated political foes in the past.
Police said a case was registered here yesterday against CPI-M Kannur District Secretary P Jayarajan for threatening and levelling personal charges at a recent press meet against policemen enquiring into an IUML activist`s murder at Taliparamba, about 19 km from here, some months ago.
Adding to the party`s discomfiture, state Committee member MV Jayarajan allegedly asked party workers to store water mixed with chilli powder to counter police who visit their houses to probe cases against their activists.
"CPI-M activists should store water mixed with chilli powder to counter police who visit their houses to probe cases against them," he allegedly said during a protest march to Taliparamba police station yesterday.
After Mani`s speech raised a storm of controversy, police on June 4 booked him in a second murder case on the basis of his speech.
For the first time, the case naming a specific murder of a man in 1980s was registered against Mani and four others in Rajakad police station in the district, listing conspiracy and murder charges.
Mani has remained defiant and refused to step down from the organisational post.
- IAF chopper sprinkles water to douse Uttarakhand forest fires; Rajnath Singh reviews situation
- China may reconsider stand on Pakistani terrorists Hafiz Saeed, Masood Azhar?
- F-16s right platform for Pakistan's counter terrorism war: US
- In fight against impeachment, Brazil President Dilma Rousseff tries to win left support
- Uttarakhand forest fire: IAF's chopper MI-17 takes off from Nainital to drop water in affected areas - WATCH