Case will be made against CPI-M leader Mani: Chandy
Kochi: Kerala Chief Minister Oommen Chandy Sunday said that a case will be made against CPI-M leader MM Mani for his speech that his party has committed murders to finish off their political opponents. However, Mani Sunday alleged that "a political conspiracy" was being hatched to trap him.
"All who heard the speech will not spare our government if we do not proceed against him because he made it very clear the way his party had killed their political opponents. When a leader himself says that they killed their opponents by shooting, stabbing and beating their rivals to death, it is only natural that a case will be taken," said Chandy to reporters here.
Idukki Communist Party of India-Marxist (CPI-M) district secretary Mani sparked outrage when he told a public meeting May 25 that his party believed in tit-for-tat killings and that it had murdered four such political foes in the eighties.
Mani, who surfaced Sunday, said he had not gone underground but was keeping a low profile due to the by-election to the Neyattinkara constituency Saturday.
"It`s surprising that the police have registered a case against me for a speech. I was never underground, I just kept away from the media because of the by-election. A political conspiracy is now going on to trap me. This case against me will be dealt politically and legally," said Mani in Idukki.
The Kerala police have registered a case against Mani under sections 302 and 109 of the Indian Penal Code.
Soon after his speech was telecast, Mani reportedly went missing and calls to his mobile phone went unanswered and his family said they did not know where he was.
With his utterances putting the party national leadership on the back foot, the CPI-M is meeting in the state capital June 5 to decide the fate of Mani.
Meanwhile, director general of police (DGP) Jacob Punnoose told reporters Sunday that the police will "unravel the truth" behind the statements made by Mani.
"The special investigation team is not going to be cowed down by various statements that are now coming out on this issue. It`s the job of the police to bring out the truth and it would be done," said Punnoose.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Rajasthan: Gujjars revive reservation agitation, block rail track
- J Jayalalithaa sworn-in as Chief Minister of Tamil Nadu
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Aspiring for more than what you have!
- ISIS to buy first nuclear weapon from Pak?
- Mumbai: CCTV captures assailant with gun at Film City
- Mathura SSP receives death threat letter, message for PM Modi
- BJP now central pole of Indian politics: Arun Jaitley
- Maharashtra FDA sends Maggi noodles for lab testing
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- Reservation issue: Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others
- Haridwar: Hotel Radisson Blu sealed for polluting Ganga
- Delhi: Two killed in road accident in New Ashok Nagar
- Girl in Punjab's Pathankot quit studies for fear of eve-teasing
- Zee Media exclusive chat with 'Welcome to Karachi' cast
- Zee Media exclusive interview with Haryana CM Manohar Lal Khattar
- Goa Board SSC Exam Results 2015 announced
- ISIS close to buying nuclear weapon from Pakistan?
- Manohar Parrikar visits forward areas along LoC, reviews security situation
- Credibility of Prime Minister's Office restored by BJP, says Arun Jaitley
- ISIS justifies raping slave girls, says Michelle Obama is 'worth $40'
- IPL 2015 Final: Mumbai Indians vs Chennai Super Kings - Preview
- 'Unhappy' Celina Jaitley asks Sunny Leone to move out?
- Arvind Kejriwal to highlight AAP govt's 100 days work on Monday
- CBSE Results 2015: 10th board exam results to be declared on May 27
- BJP's plan for one-year celebration: 200 big rallies, 5,000 public meetings
- IPL 8 Final: We need to be at our best against Mumbai, says Michael Hussey
- Heatwave leaves 153 dead in Telangana, Andhra Pradesh
- Heatwave kills 223 in AP, Telangana, Chandrababu Naidu announces compensation; Delhi records hottest day
- IPL 2015 Final: MI vs CSK - As it happened...
- 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns' starts on a good note at the Box Office!