Case will be made against CPI-M leader Mani: Chandy
Kochi: Kerala Chief Minister Oommen Chandy Sunday said that a case will be made against CPI-M leader MM Mani for his speech that his party has committed murders to finish off their political opponents. However, Mani Sunday alleged that "a political conspiracy" was being hatched to trap him.
"All who heard the speech will not spare our government if we do not proceed against him because he made it very clear the way his party had killed their political opponents. When a leader himself says that they killed their opponents by shooting, stabbing and beating their rivals to death, it is only natural that a case will be taken," said Chandy to reporters here.
Idukki Communist Party of India-Marxist (CPI-M) district secretary Mani sparked outrage when he told a public meeting May 25 that his party believed in tit-for-tat killings and that it had murdered four such political foes in the eighties.
Mani, who surfaced Sunday, said he had not gone underground but was keeping a low profile due to the by-election to the Neyattinkara constituency Saturday.
"It`s surprising that the police have registered a case against me for a speech. I was never underground, I just kept away from the media because of the by-election. A political conspiracy is now going on to trap me. This case against me will be dealt politically and legally," said Mani in Idukki.
The Kerala police have registered a case against Mani under sections 302 and 109 of the Indian Penal Code.
Soon after his speech was telecast, Mani reportedly went missing and calls to his mobile phone went unanswered and his family said they did not know where he was.
With his utterances putting the party national leadership on the back foot, the CPI-M is meeting in the state capital June 5 to decide the fate of Mani.
Meanwhile, director general of police (DGP) Jacob Punnoose told reporters Sunday that the police will "unravel the truth" behind the statements made by Mani.
"The special investigation team is not going to be cowed down by various statements that are now coming out on this issue. It`s the job of the police to bring out the truth and it would be done," said Punnoose.
For more news in Malayalam, click www.zeemalayalam.com
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is Akhilesh Yadav overlooking Muslims as Mulayam Singh alleged?
- DNA: Why did Navjot Singh Sidhu call BJP 'Kaikeyi’, Congress ‘Kaushalya’?
- 38-year-old arrested for ‘raping’ minors in Delhi; assaulted over 600 girls
- BJP announces 149 names in first list of candidates for UP elections
- My father wanted me to be a man of character: Navjot Singh Siddhu
- Geeta Phogat comes to rescue of Zaira Wasim; hits out at trolls, asks actress not to apologise
- ‘Dangal’ star Zaira Wasim says I am not a role model, not proud of what I am doing
- Assembly Elections: BJP releases list of 149 candidates for Uttar Pradesh, 64 for Uttarakhand
- China's NSG stand is neither fair nor transparent, says Defence Expert
- Serial child rapist arrested in Delhi, says 'preyed on girls for sexual satisfaction, enjoyed it'