CBI arrests four cops in custodial death case
Palakkad/Kochi: CBI on Thursday arrested four police
personnel, including a DYSP, in connection with the alleged
custodial torture and subsequent death of a murder accused on
March 29 last year.
The four arrested persons -- DYSP C K Ramachandran, who is
the 14th accused, Sub Inspectors P V Ramesh and T K
Unnikrishanan (first and second accused respectively) and
constable Shama Prasad (9th accused) were detained from
Palakkad and Thrissur districts and were later produced before
the Chief Judicial Magistrate court at Kochi.
The magistrate B Vijayan remanded the accused to 5 days
Sampath was arrested as a prime suspect in the murder of
a businessman`s wife Sheela in Palakkad for gain on March 23
last year. The 47-year-old woman was found with her throat
slit, and her 70-year-old mother Karthiyani amma was seriously
injured inside their home.
He died after he was allegedly tortured during questioning.
There were 63 ante mortem injuries (injuries a body has
received before death) on his body.
Local police and crime branch first investigated the case
which was later handed over to CBI, after the victim`s brother
Murukesh approached the High Court alleging interference of
top police officers in the case.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Complete analysis of APJ Abdul Kalam's life and achievements
- 6 leaders were in contact with Dawood Ibrahim till 26/11: Report
- Rameswaram waits to give final salute to Dr Abdul Kalam
- Last rites of Gurdaspur attack martyr Baljit Singh in Kapurthala
- SC order on Yakub Memon huge disappointment, setback: Owaisi
- APJ Abdul Kalam's funeral: Why Rameswaram was chosen over New Delhi?
- APJ Abdul Kalam's funeral to be held in Rameswaram; PM Modi to attend
- LIVE: Yakub Memon buried at Chandanwadi's Bada Kabristan in Mumbai
- Has President Pranab Mukherjee rejected Yakub Memon's mercy plea?
- SC refuses stay on Yakub Memon's hanging: As it happened