CBI arrests four cops in custodial death case
Palakkad/Kochi: CBI on Thursday arrested four police
personnel, including a DYSP, in connection with the alleged
custodial torture and subsequent death of a murder accused on
March 29 last year.
The four arrested persons -- DYSP C K Ramachandran, who is
the 14th accused, Sub Inspectors P V Ramesh and T K
Unnikrishanan (first and second accused respectively) and
constable Shama Prasad (9th accused) were detained from
Palakkad and Thrissur districts and were later produced before
the Chief Judicial Magistrate court at Kochi.
The magistrate B Vijayan remanded the accused to 5 days
Sampath was arrested as a prime suspect in the murder of
a businessman`s wife Sheela in Palakkad for gain on March 23
last year. The 47-year-old woman was found with her throat
slit, and her 70-year-old mother Karthiyani amma was seriously
injured inside their home.
He died after he was allegedly tortured during questioning.
There were 63 ante mortem injuries (injuries a body has
received before death) on his body.
Local police and crime branch first investigated the case
which was later handed over to CBI, after the victim`s brother
Murukesh approached the High Court alleging interference of
top police officers in the case.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- 'Achhe din': Residents of PM Modi's adopted village to get free electricity, work in full swing
- Deepika Padukone, Vin Diesel in first ‘xXx: The Return of Xander Cage’ video – Watch
- Siachen survivor Lance Naik Hanumanthappa brought to Delhi, Army chief Dabir Singh visits RR hospital
- Siachen miracle: Lance Naik Koppad's wife terms her husband's 'news of being alive' as 'rebirth for family'
- How Lance Naik Hanumanthappa survived 6 days below 25 feet of snow in Siachen