CBI files chargesheet in scribe attack case
Kochi: CBI today filed a chargesheet against five accused, including two police officers, in a case relating to the attack on a reporter of Malayalam daily `Mathrubhumi` in April last year.
The chargesheet was filed before the Chief Judicial Magistrate, Ernakulam, P Sashidharan.
The two DYSPs Santosh Nair and B Abdul Rasheed, who are named in the chargesheet, have been suspended.
According to the chargesheet, the two DYSPs had entered into a criminal conspiracy with the other accused to eliminate the reporter V B Unnithan who had published reports against them.
Cases have been filed against the accused under IPC sections including 307 (attempt to murder) and 120B (conspiracy).
There were 10 accused in the case, of whom one died and another turned approver. Charges have not been framed against three accused due to lack of evidence.
A hired gang had been used to eliminate Unnithan, the newspaper`s Kollam reporter, who was seriously injured in the attack on April 16.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Sheena Bora murder saga: 12 questions that police asked Peter Mukerjea during 12-hour grilling?
- Sunny Leone steamy condom ad (uncensored): Watch why this video is making news
- Indrani Mukerjea confesses to her role in Sheena Bora murder case
- 'Insulted' Samajwadi Party walks out of 'Janata Parivar', to contest Bihar polls alone
- BJP-RSS review meet, Day 2: NDA's education policy, Patel quota stir on agenda