CBI opposes CPI-M leader`s plea for splitting graft case
Kochi: CBI on Thursday opposed in the Kerala High Court the plea of the CPI(M) state secretary Pinarayi Vijayan to split the trial of the case relating to alleged irregularities in the award of a contract to a Canadian company for renovation of hydel projects in 1996.
The statement of CBI was filed on a writ petition by Vijayan and Siddharta Menon, former KSEB Chairman, seeking to split the case against him and others for speedy trial in view of the delay in securing the presence of official of the firm.
Canadian firm SNC Lavalin is the sixth accused and its former Vice-President Claus Trendl the ninth accused in the case relating to alleged irregularities in the award of contracts by KSEB to SNC Lavalin company for the renovation of three hydel projects in the state in 1996, causing a loss of over Rs 375 crore to the state exchequer.
CBI disclosed that summons to the company and Trendl issued by the special CBI court here had not been served and request for extradition of Trendl was yet to be considered by the Canadian Government. Hence, it cannot be concluded that they are absconding.
Vijayan, a former power minister, contended that the case was hanging like a `Damocles sword` over his head. Delay in the trial was causing serious hardships to him.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Heat ave continues in India, death toll climbs to over 1,400
- Megastar Amitabh Bachchan slapped with Rs 1 crore notice
- Kenyan lawyer offers to marry Barack Obama's daughter Malia
- 4 Indians in Forbes' 100 most powerful women list
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads
- Maggi likely to face ban in India!
- Salman Khan accident files burnt in Mantralaya fire
- AIB: The 'Third Gender's right to dignity'
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads- Part II
- TERI panel finds RK Pachauri guilty in sexual harassment case
- Rajasthan: High Court raps Chief Secy, DGP for failing to end Gujjar agitation
- Erstwhile Mysuru kingdom gets new king
- Priyanka, Ranveer talk about their film 'Dil Dhadakne Do'
- Former Bihar CM Jitan Ram Manjhi meets PM Modi
- Meet 92-year-old Phyllis Sues who dances toTango
- CBSE Class 10 (Class X Board) Result 2015 on cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in at 2 pm
- Hours after attacking NDA govt, Manmohan Singh meets PM Narendra Modi
- Check cbseresults.nic.in, cbse.in for CBSE Class 10 X Board Result at 2 pm
- GUJCET Results 2015 declared on gseb.org
- Centre moves SC against Delhi HC order on LG's powers; hearing on Friday
- Pakistan break Team India's long-standing ODI record at home soil
- Gujjar agitation: Centre sending additional forces to vacate rail tracks, say sources
- Rahul Gandhi takes another dig at NDA govt, says Manmohan gave lessons on economy to PM Modi
- Log on to cbseresults.nic.in, cbse.nic.in at 2 pm for Class 10th Result 2015
- Former Bihar CM Jitan Ram Manjhi meets PM Modi, triggers tie-up speculation
- WBCHSE (wbchse.nic.in & wbresults.nic.in): West Bengal Class 12th Result to be declared on May 29
- Gujarat Board Results 2015: Gujarat Board HSC class 12th science results to be declared today at 9 AM on gseb.org
- CBSE (cbseresults.nic.in, cbse.nic.in) Class 10th (X Board) Result 2015 declared
- Watch: Dance guru Prabhudheva's mind-blowing act in 'Happy Hour' from 'ABCD2'!
- CBSE Board Results 2015: Class 10 Results to be declared on May 28 on cbse.nic.in