CBI to re-examine witnesses in Paul Muthoot case
Thiruvananthapuram: A special Central Bureau of Investigation (CBI) court on Saturday ordered the re-examination of nine witnesses in the sensational Paul Muthoot George murder case.
Special court judge R Reghu ordered the re-examination of witnesses listed one to eight, and eighteenth, in the witness list. There are over 200 witnesses in the case. The court gave its direction as it found that the CBI chargesheet lacked clarity. The re-examination has been posted for May 13.
Paul M George, 32, was killed under mysterious circumstances near Alappuzha on August 21, 2009 while travelling in a car with Om Prakash and Rajesh, two men who face several criminal cases in the state.
George, a bachelor, belonged to the wealthy Muthoot business family, which runs a hugely successful private banking business, besides other ventures.
Local police first investigated the crime, and a special team was later constituted to probe the murder. That team arrested 14 people. Later, George`s father sought a CBI probe, and the agency took up the case in January 2010.
All the accused, barring two, are out on bail. Among those not released on bail is second accused K Satheesh, who according to the police, stabbed George.
The motive of the crime, according to the investigating agency, was sudden provocation to anger, as George`s speeding vehicle knocked down a two-wheeler and failed to stop.
The accused and his group of men, who saw this, followed George and stopped his vehicle. After a verbal duel, George was stabbed to death, investigators claim.
For more news in Malayalam, click www.zeemalayalam.com
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Highlights - India vs England 2nd ODI in Cuttack
- Donald Trump to be sworn in as 45th US President today
- Etah: School bus collides with truck, several children killed
- J&K: LeT militant gunned down by security forces in Bandipora
- Exclusive: Srinagar freezes at minus 3; common man struggles for basic commodities
- WATCH: MS Dhoni asks Jasprit Bumrah to go easy after he hurriedly ran out England skipper Eoin Morgan
- WATCH: How MS Dhoni saved Yuvraj Singh's wicket with another successful DRS review
- IND vs ENG, 2nd ODI: Yuvraj Singh silences critics with 14th ODI hundred, fourth against England — WATCH
- India vs England: After Virender Sehwag, Sachin Tendulkar gives Piers Morgan cricketing gyan
- Donald Trump's Inauguration Day: As it happened