CBI to re-examine witnesses in Paul Muthoot case
Thiruvananthapuram: A special Central Bureau of Investigation (CBI) court on Saturday ordered the re-examination of nine witnesses in the sensational Paul Muthoot George murder case.
Special court judge R Reghu ordered the re-examination of witnesses listed one to eight, and eighteenth, in the witness list. There are over 200 witnesses in the case. The court gave its direction as it found that the CBI chargesheet lacked clarity. The re-examination has been posted for May 13.
Paul M George, 32, was killed under mysterious circumstances near Alappuzha on August 21, 2009 while travelling in a car with Om Prakash and Rajesh, two men who face several criminal cases in the state.
George, a bachelor, belonged to the wealthy Muthoot business family, which runs a hugely successful private banking business, besides other ventures.
Local police first investigated the crime, and a special team was later constituted to probe the murder. That team arrested 14 people. Later, George`s father sought a CBI probe, and the agency took up the case in January 2010.
All the accused, barring two, are out on bail. Among those not released on bail is second accused K Satheesh, who according to the police, stabbed George.
The motive of the crime, according to the investigating agency, was sudden provocation to anger, as George`s speeding vehicle knocked down a two-wheeler and failed to stop.
The accused and his group of men, who saw this, followed George and stopped his vehicle. After a verbal duel, George was stabbed to death, investigators claim.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Rajasthan: Gujjars revive reservation agitation, block rail track
- J Jayalalithaa sworn-in as Chief Minister of Tamil Nadu
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Aspiring for more than what you have!
- ISIS to buy first nuclear weapon from Pak?
- Mumbai: CCTV captures assailant with gun at Film City
- Mathura SSP receives death threat letter, message for PM Modi
- BJP now central pole of Indian politics: Arun Jaitley
- Maharashtra FDA sends Maggi noodles for lab testing
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- Haridwar: Hotel Radisson Blu sealed for polluting Ganga
- Delhi: Two killed in road accident in New Ashok Nagar
- Reservation issue: Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others
- Girl in Punjab's Pathankot quit studies for fear of eve-teasing
- Special: Furious over rising water crisis, people take to the streets
- Fiji: Floating island restaurant in middle of ocean
- Goa Board SSC Exam Results 2015 announced
- ISIS close to buying nuclear weapon from Pakistan?
- Manohar Parrikar visits forward areas along LoC, reviews security situation
- Credibility of Prime Minister's Office restored by BJP, says Arun Jaitley
- There will be no delay in appointing CIC, CVC: Jitendra Singh
- ISIS justifies raping slave girls, says Michelle Obama is 'worth $40'
- 'Unhappy' Celina Jaitley asks Sunny Leone to move out?
- IPL 2015 Final: Mumbai Indians vs Chennai Super Kings - Preview
- Arvind Kejriwal to highlight AAP govt's 100 days work on Monday
- BJP's plan for one-year celebration: 200 big rallies, 5,000 public meetings
- CBSE Results 2015: 10th board exam results to be declared on May 27
- Heatwave leaves 153 dead in Telangana, Andhra Pradesh
- IPL 8 Final: We need to be at our best against Mumbai, says Michael Hussey
- Jayalalithaa returns as Tamil Nadu CM: As it happened
- Heatwave kills 223 in AP, Telangana, Chandrababu Naidu announces compensation; Delhi records hottest day