Centenary celebrations of Sanskrit college to begin on Feb 21
Thrissur: The three-day long centenary
celebrations of the Rashtriya Sanskrit Sansthan, formerly
Pavaratty Sahitya Deepika Sanskrit College, founded by late P
T Kuriakose Master in 1909, would begin here on February 21.
In a statement here, Sanskrit Sansthan protection
committee President Thomas Pavaratty said the union government
had granted Rs 3 lakh for the purpose.
Kuriakose Master had donated the College and the campus
together with buildings costing crores of rupees to the union
government to establish as a full-fledged Sanskrit learning
centre. The college was affiliated to the Rashtriya Sanskrit
Sansthan as its sixth centre in 1979.
Though the Sahitya Deepika Sanskrit College began on a
small scale, it was later affiliated to the Madras University.
Master had fostered the college facing opposition from all
corners including the Church as it was a taboo then for
non-Brahmins to learn Sanskrit and read Sanskrit literature.
Sanskrit scholars and writers who were former students
of the college would offer floral tributes at the tomb of the
Master at the Pavaratty St Joseph`s shrine on February 23, the
25th death anniversary of the Master, marking the conclusion
of the centenary celebration, the statement said.
The celebrations would be held at the campuses of the
Sansthan at Pavaratty and Puranattukara, now under the Union
Ministry of Human Resources Development.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Mumbai: Police arrests 4 schoolboys for raping classmate
- Haryana minister Anil Vij gets into spat with Fatehabad SP Sangeeta Kalia
- Panel discussion on Farooq Abdullah's controversial statement on PoK
- Watch: PM Narendra Modi's full speech in Parliament
- DNA: Heart-wrenching stories of Kashmiri pandits
- Kim Jong-Un issues bizarre diktat, asks North Korean men to copy his hairstyle, women to follow his wife
- Muslim man sends 'talaq' SMS to wife after learning about her gang-rape
- Watch: PM Narendra Modi's speech in Parliament on Constitution debate
- Four minors gang-rape teenage girl in Mumbai, circulate video on WhatsApp
- ISL 2015: NorthEast United FC vs Delhi Dynamos - Preview