Centre prepared to order CBI probe into lottery case: Solicitor General
Kochi: Solicitor General Gopal Subramanium
on Tuesday informed Kerala High Court that the Centre was prepared
to order a CBI probe into the lottery case provided the state
government supplies materials in prescribed performa.
In response, Kerala Government agreed to furnish
necessary details within two weeks.
The Solicitor General, appearing on behalf of Home
Minister P Chidambaram and Central Government, denied
allegations regarding involvement of Chidambaram and his wife
Nalini Chidambaram in the lottery case.
Subramanium said Chidambaram was a senior lawyer at one
point of time. He had nothing to do with the case after he
became a Minister. Senior advocates were instructed by
counsels and have no relationship with clients, he said.
He said the Centre was prepared to hand over the case to
CBI without insisting for the mandatory notification. Director
of CBI has been apprised of the situation, he said.
The Solicitor General complemented Chief Minister VS
Achuthanandan for his initiative in the matter.
A Division Bench consisting Chief Justice J Chelameswar
and PR Ramachandran Menon reserved orders on the petitions.
A batch of petitions had been filed seeking CBI probe
into conduct of other state lotteries in Kerala. They had
alleged, among other things, that Chidambaram and his wife
as lawyers had connection with the lottery case.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Vyapam Scam: IMA president Sudhir Tiwari fears life threat
- Vyapam Scam: Mystery over journalist Akshay Singh's death continues
- Panel discussion on RSS's 'Muslim Rashtriya Manch' first Iftaar party
- Jhansi police launches ‘Citizen Cop’ android app
- MPs spend more than Rs 25 cr taxpayers' money on study tours: DNA reports
- Vyapam scam: MP medical college dean found dead in hotel, body sent for post-mortem
- Vyapam scam: Last rites of journalist Akshay Singh performed; MP CM assures of SIT probe
- Photographer captures International Space Station flying across moon
- PM Narendra Modi holds talks with Uzbek leader
- Chile stun Argentina to win first Copa America crown