Centre raises Kerala`s Haj quota
Thiruvananthapuram: The Centre has agreed to raise Kerala`s Haj quota by 1031 this year, enabling a total of 7518 pilgrims from the state to fly to Mecca to perform the Haj.
According to state Industries Minister P K Kunhalikutty, a communication from the central authorities in this regard was received today.
Kunhalikutty, in charge of Wakf affaris in the state, had earlier written to External Affairs Minister S M Krishna for enhancing the state`s Haj quota, which stood far below the number of aspirants.
The state also suggested that the number of applicants should be the prime criterion while deciding the number of pilgrims from each state, rather than present system of population-based Haj quota system.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Exiled Kashmiri Pandits share their heart wrenching stories
- DNA: 7th anniversary of 26/11 attacks, Nation pays homage to martyrs
- Jabalpur woman commits suicide over Aamir Khan's 'intolerance row'
- Panel discussion on Rajnath Singh's remarks on secularism in Parliament
- Minor girl allegedly gang-raped in Mumbai