Centre raises Kerala`s Haj quota
Thiruvananthapuram: The Centre has agreed to raise Kerala`s Haj quota by 1031 this year, enabling a total of 7518 pilgrims from the state to fly to Mecca to perform the Haj.
According to state Industries Minister P K Kunhalikutty, a communication from the central authorities in this regard was received today.
Kunhalikutty, in charge of Wakf affaris in the state, had earlier written to External Affairs Minister S M Krishna for enhancing the state`s Haj quota, which stood far below the number of aspirants.
The state also suggested that the number of applicants should be the prime criterion while deciding the number of pilgrims from each state, rather than present system of population-based Haj quota system.
For more news in Malayalam, click www.zeemalayalam.com
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch - IIT-Kharagpur develops superpower drone 'BHIM' that could aid soldiers in war zones
- Anti-Romeo squad launched: Has moral policing started in UP?
- Is Pakistan terrified of Yogi Adityanath as Uttar Pradesh CM?
- Should Ram Mandir issue be resolved through mutual understanding?
- Jharkhand: Congress leader, 3 others killed in shootout in Dhanbad
- 400 Trinamool Congress members including many TMC stalwarts join BJP in Tripura
- Bhagat Singh, Sukhdev, Rajguru were hanged on 23 March 1931 – This is how PM Modi paid tribute today
- Kapil Sharma fight on flight row: Did Sunil Grover, Ali Asgar and Chandan Prabhakar skip shoot?
- Mohammad Kaif welcomes Yogi Adityanath's appointment as new Uttar Pradesh chief minister
- Yogi Adityanath took THESE 20 big actions in just 75 hours after becoming UP CM