`Centre to ensure harsh punishment for crimes against women`
Kottayam: Terming the Delhi gang rape case as a "horrendous incident" Defence Minister A K Antony on Wednesday said the Centre would bring out a law ensuring stringent punishment for culprits involved in crimes against women immediately on getting the Justice J S Verma Committee report.
"What has happened in Delhi is brutal. The accused should get harshest punishment. This is my view and demand of the public as a whole," Antony said.
"Let the protests and reactions of society against the Delhi incident open our eyes. I don`t think the public outcry would subside soon," he said while inaugurating the 136th birth anniversary celebrations of Mannath Padmanabhan, social reformer and founder of Nair Service Society at Perunna near here.
Asserting that the Centre would implement the recommendations of the Verma Committee as soon as it gets the report, he said law, court and police alone were not enough but a social movement was needed to prevent crimes against women.
The government had on December 23 constituted the Committee under the chairmanship of Justice (retd) Verma, former Chief Justice of India, to look into the possible amendments of the criminal law so as to provide for quicker trial and enhanced punishment to criminals in such cases.
"It is the duty of every citizen, both men and women, to create an atmosphere where women are totally safe at home, schools, public places and work places," Antony said.
"Ensuring safety of women not only requires legislative measures but a strong social movement. This has already started in India. Not only political parties but social organisations and NGOs have also a vital role to play in this movement to cleanse the society from the impurities that have accumulated and tainting it," he said.
Lauding the role of Mannath Padmanabhan in reforming the caste-ridden Kerala society in the last century, Antony said it was unfortunate that communal mistrust was becoming a cause for concern in the state again.
If this was allowed to grow unchecked, Kerala would again become a "lunatic asylum" of rigid casteism as said by Swami Vivekananda over a century back, he added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Delhi's 2015 CBSE Class 12 topper M Gayatri talks to Zee Media
- One year of Modi govt: PM promises to fulfil aspirations
- Watch: Mumbai cops find new secret agents in housewives!
- DNA: Sikh man in New Zealand removed his turban to help injured kid
- No respite from heat for next three days: IMD
- One year of Modi govt: PM addresses mega rally in Mathura
- Hundreds die as heat wave continues in India
- 2G scam: Ex-TRAI chief alleges Manmohan Singh had warned him to cooperate
- Pranab Mukherjee defends Bofors scam, says it was just a media trial
- DNA: AIIMS doctor removes both kidneys of minor, claims she had only one
- Growing medical negligence in Delhi's AIIMS
- Salman Khan attends sister Arpita's wedding reception in Mandi
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- Zee Media Exclusive: Vidya Balan chats about 'Hamari Adhuri Kahani'
- One year of Modi govt: PM Modi addresses mega rally in Mathura Part-II
- One year of NDA govt: PM Modi writes open letter to nation, promises to transform India
- World optimistic about India: PM Narendra Modi on 1 year of NDA govt
- MSBSHSE Class 12th HSC results 2015 to be declared at 1pm tomorrow
- Arpita-Aayush wedding reception: Salman Khan spreads love in Mandi, says `hum aapke hain`
- Bharatiya Janata Party lacks majority for Ram Temple, Article 370: Amit Shah
- AAP govt moves resolution against MHA notification: As it happened
- Rahul Gandhi takes a dig at one year of Modi govt, wishes 'happy birthday' to 'suit-boot ki sarkar'
- Heatwave kills 90 more in Andhra, Telangana; toll crosses 800
- UBSE Results 2015 (ubse.uk.gov.in): Uttarakhand 12th Result 2015 to be announced today at 11 AM
- Gujjars adamant on holding talks in Bayana; rail tracks remain blocked
- CBSE 10th result to be declared tomorrow
- CBSE Class X Board Results 2015 to declared tomorrow
- Salman Khan's `Bajrangi Bhaijaan` teaser to be out in two days?
- What couldn't be done in last 10 years, NDA govt did in one year: Smriti Irani in Amethi
- Check mahresult.nic.in for Maharashtra HSC Result 2015 to be announced at 1 pm on May 27