Chain snatchings at Sree Padmanabhaswamy temple
Thiruvananthapuram: The Left opposition in the Kerala assembly Tuesday picked holes in the security at the Sree Padmanabhaswamy temple, where fabled treasures were recently discovered, as several chain snatching incidents have come to light.
Intervening during a question raised by Congress legislator Palode Ravi about the temple, former home minister and Communist Party of India-Marxist (CPI-M) leader Kodiyeri Balakrishnan said with so much treasure, the security there was appallingly poor.
"Did you all not read in the newspaper that in a matter of 12 hours yesterday (Monday) four chain snatching incidents took place and now you say that you have provided complete security to the priceless treasure stored in the temple," Balakrishnan said.
He made this statement soon after Devaswom Minister V.S. Sivakumar said elaborate security arrangements under a team of top police officials led by Additional Director General of Police Venugopalan K. Nair has been put up in and around the temple.
"You say all this and then how come in a short period of time these chain snatching incidents were reported? Is this the way you are providing security? It is really shameful that you can`t even put up a proper security ring," he added.
In May, a Supreme Court-appointed seven-member committee was appointed to prepare an inventory of the treasures contained in six vaults inside the temple premises.
Rubies, diamonds, pure gold statues and coins which have been unofficially estimated to be valued at over Rs.one lakh crore were discovered.
"The examination process of the apex court committee is still not over. The chief minister (Oommen Chandy) has made it clear that the temple`s security cover will be the responsibility of the state government," Sivakumar said.
Ever since reports surfaced of the treasure stored in five of the six vaults that have been opened, people from all over are now making a beeline for the temple.
Chain snatchers made a killing Monday when they snatched three chains and Monday night a chain was snatched from a woman who was sleeping at her home near the temple.
The Kerala Police have placed a security cover of around 53 policemen inside the temple and another 74 officials posted outside it, besides opening a 24-hour control room at the police station situated close to the temple.
Palode Ravi, who raised the question of security, demanded that the state government request the central government to declare the temple as a national pilgrimage centre.
"We should also request the centre to see that they provide a military security cover also besides the state police security," said Ravi.
The state government has already made it clear that the treasure is the property of the temple and their duty is to provide the security.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- One year of Modi govt: PM promises to fulfil aspirations
- Watch: Mumbai cops find new secret agents in housewives!
- Hundreds die as heat wave continues in India
- 2G scam: Ex-TRAI chief alleges Manmohan Singh had warned him to cooperate
- Pranab Mukherjee defends Bofors scam, says it was just a media trial
- Salman Khan attends sister Arpita's wedding reception in Mandi
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- Zee Media Exclusive: Vidya Balan chats about 'Hamari Adhuri Kahani'
- Para athlete Deepa Malik complains of callous service by Air India
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- Smriti Irani visits Amethi, promises to pay insurance money to 25,000 women
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- One year of Modi govt: Amit Shah addresses media
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- UP: Man chops off wife's nose, hair for dowry
- One year of NDA govt: PM Modi writes open letter to nation, promises to transform India
- Arpita-Aayush wedding reception: Salman Khan spreads love in Mandi, says `hum aapke hain`
- World optimistic about India: PM Narendra Modi on 1 year of NDA govt
- MSBSHSE Class 12th HSC results 2015 to be declared at 1pm tomorrow
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced on May 28
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- Rahul Gandhi takes a dig at one year of Modi govt, wishes 'happy birthday' to 'suit-boot ki sarkar'
- Bharatiya Janata Party lacks majority for Ram Temple, Article 370: Amit Shah
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- AAP govt moves resolution against MHA notification: As it happened
- Heatwave kills 90 more in Andhra, Telangana; toll crosses 800
- I was misquoted, says Kiren Rijiju on 'beef' remark
- Gujjars adamant on holding talks in Bayana; rail tracks remain blocked
- CBSE 10th result to be declared tomorrow