Chandrasekharan murder: CPI(M) members in chargesheet
Kozhikode: The charge sheet, filed by the Special Investigating Team in the First Class Judicial Magistrate Court in Vatakara, listed members of the gang which carried out the murder as the first seven accused while CPI(M) leaders face charges of hatching the conspiracy and harbouring the culprits.
Once a prominent CPI(M) leader in the party stronghold Onjiyam near Vatrakara, Chandrasekharan was expelled from the party in 2008 after he questioned the leadership over ideological and organisational issues.
Chandrasekharan was hacked to death at Vallikkad near his home on the night of May 4, triggering strong political reactions from within and outside the state.
In all, 76 persons have been named as accused in the charge sheet prepared after a probe which gathered evidence with the help of scientific methods, including cyber tools.
The murder put CPI(M) on the defensive following the arrest of several party functionaries from Kozhikode and Kannur districts.
CPI(M) has, however, refuted the allegation that the murder was the result of a conspiracy involving the party.
Those listed as accused include CPI(M)`s Kozhikode district secretariat member P Mohanan, Onjiyam area secretary and former state leader of party`s government employees union leader C H Asokan and Panur areas committee member P K Kunhananathan.
The first seven accused include members of the gang C Anup, Kodi Suni,`Keermani` Manoj and others.
Besides denting CPI(M)`s image, the case also served as a trigger to intensify the commotions in the state unit with senior leader V S Achuthanandan often issuing statements that put the state leadership under his bete noire Pinarayi Vijayan in the shadow of doubt.
Achuthanandan was recently censured by the party`s central committee for striking an agressive posture and making public statements against the state leadership.
For more news in Malayalam, click www.zeemalayalam.com
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Intruder who ‘spiked’ wrestler Narsingh Yadav’s food identified: Sources
- China increases soldiers at Ladakh's Pangong Lake
- Madhya Pradesh: Two women assaulted at railway station for carrying beef
- IIT Kharagpur students design racing car to compete in Russia
- IRCTC to offer Rs 10 lakh insurance cover for Re 1
- Iran announces May 19 presidential election
- Sahara group gets $1.3 billion offer from new suitor for its 3 overseas hotels
- Watch: Benedict Cumberbatch's 'Sherlock: Series 4' teaser will leave you on the edge!
- Know why some male frogs prefer having sex on land
- Monsoon to push GDP growth to over 8% this fiscal: Panagariya