Chandrasekharan murder: CPI(M) worker among 5 arrested
Kozhikode: Five persons, including a CPI(M) local committee member, were arrested on Tuesday in connection with the murder of Revolutionary Marxist Party (RMP) leader TP Chandrasekharan, police said.
Those arrested have been identified as Deepu, Lambu Pradeep, Rejith and CPI(M)`s local committee member at Orkattery Padayankandi Ravindran. The name of the fifth person was not disclosed by police.
While Ravindran was arrested for helping the culprits in identifying Chandrasekharan before killing, the remaining were accused of helping the culprits for hiding the weapon used for the murder, police said.
Earlier a look out notice was issued against 12 people as part of the investigation into the murder.
Chandrasekharan, 50, was murdered at Vallikkad near Vatakara in Kozhikode district on May 4.
The assailants who came by a car had attacked him while he was riding a motorcycle alone. Country-made bombs were hurled at him and when he fell off the motorcycle, he was hacked to death with sharp-edged weapons.
Police said the assailants had attempted to mislead them in their probe by using a fake number car plate.
A former CPI(M) leader in the party stronghold Onjiyam in Kozhikode district, Chandrasekharan was expelled a few years ago after falling out with the leadership.
He later joined RMP floated by CPI(M) activists who had either quit the party over ideological issues or expelled for anti-party activities.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- NHRC issues notice to Rajasthan government over death of 11 children in home
- Delhi: 10-year-old boy dies due to overdose of Vitamin D
- Haryana: Groom injured in celebratory firing at wedding in Hissar
- Phase V of West Bengal Assembly polls starts today
- Discussion over Mamata Banerjee's close aide Firhad Hakim's 'mini Pakistan' comment
- West Bengal Assembly Elections: Polling begins in crucial fifth phase, 680 central forces companies deployed
- Severe heat wave condition in West Bengal
- Kerela HSE (Class 12) Result 2016 is likely to be declared by second week of May
- No instances of incursions by Chinese troops into Indian territory: Manohar Parrikar
- Haryana government strips former CM Bhupinder Singh Hooda off cabinet rank