Chandrasekharan murder: CPM leader in custody
Kozhikode: In a significant development, police on Friday took into custody a prominent district leader of the CPI(M) in connection with the probe into the murder of Marxist rebel and RMP leader T P Chandrasekharan.
According to police, P Mohanan, CPI(M)`s Kozhikode district secretariat member, was taken into custody from Quilandy near here and was taken to the camp office of the Special Investigation Team (SIT) at Vatakara.
His wife K K Lathika is CPI(M) MLA from Meppayyur in Kozhikode district.
Mohanan is the first district level leader to be taken into custody by SIT, though several area, local and branch level CPI(M) activists have already been arrested in connection with the politically sensitive case.
Chandrasekharan, once a prominent CPI(M) functionary in the Communist stronghold Onjiyam near Vatakara, was hacked to death on May 4.
He left CPI(M) in 2008 over ideological and organisational issues with the leadership and floated a parallel outfit called Revolutionary Marxist Party.
Though the killing was done by a hit squad, police suspected that the murder was the result of a "conspiracy" hatched by some CPI(M) functionaries.
The party, however, has persistently rejected the charge.
Reacting to Mohanan`s arrest, CPI(M) central committee member E P Jayarajan accused the police of acting in tune with the plan drew up by the Congress-led UDF government to frame the party.
"We have been saying this right from the start. With this, it has become all the more evident that the investigation is moving as scripted by party`s enemies", Jayarajan said.
Chandrasekharan`s widow, Rema, said the RMP`s contention that the murder was plotted by the CPI(M) was getting vindicated day by day and the police taking Mohanan into custody was the latest evidence.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Harmful chemicals found in Maggi, Nestle India still in denial mode
- CM Kejriwal shortlists 39 'unwanted' IAS officers in Delhi
- Rajasthan: Gujjars revive reservation agitation, block rail track
- DNA: Modi-led NDA govt's hits and misses in one year
- J Jayalalithaa sworn-in as Chief Minister of Tamil Nadu
- Zee Media Exclusive interview with Congress leader Kamal Nath
- Mumbai: One injured in shootout at Film City
- ISIS to buy first nuclear weapon from Pak?
- Mumbai: CCTV captures assailant with gun at Film City
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Aspiring for more than what you have!
- BJP now central pole of Indian politics: Arun Jaitley
- Mathura SSP receives death threat letter, message for PM Modi
- Maharashtra FDA sends Maggi noodles for lab testing
- See what can Maggi do to your health!
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- IPL 2015, Qualifier 2: CSK vs RCB - As it happened...
- India to soon have its own space shuttle!
- PM Narendra Modi graces Digvijay Singh's son wedding reception
- Rahul Gandhi to pressurise govt to act on one-rank-one-pension issue
- Goa Board SSC Exam Results 2015 announced
- ISIS close to buying nuclear weapon from Pakistan?
- CBSE 12th Results 2015: CBSE Board Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic class 12th XII board exam Results 2015 date announced
- Manohar Parrikar visits forward areas along LoC, reviews security situation
- There will be no delay in appointing CIC, CVC: Jitendra Singh
- Credibility of Prime Minister's Office restored by BJP, says Arun Jaitley
- ISIS justifies raping slave girls, says Michelle Obama is 'worth $40'
- CBSE Board 10th Results 2015: Cbse.nic.in & Cbseresults.nic class 10th X board exam results 2015 date announced
- Arvind Kejriwal to highlight AAP govt's 100 days work on Monday
- BJP's plan for one-year celebration: 200 big rallies, 5,000 public meetings
- 'Unhappy' Celina Jaitley asks Sunny Leone to move out?