Chandrasekharan murder: District CPI(M) leader remanded
Kozhikode: In a further setback to the CPI(M), a prominent party district-level functionary was on Friday arrested in connection with the recent murder of Marxist rebel and RMP leader TP Chandrasekharan.
The arrest of P Mohanan, CPI(M)`s district Secretariat member and husband of party MLA KK Lathika has made matters worse for the CPI-M several of whose activists are in jail in the case that has come to haunt the party in recent weeks.
Mohanan was taken into custody from Quilandy near here this morning and, after questioning by SIT, produced before a court in Vatakara which remanded him to seven days police custody.
He has been charged under sections 120B (conspiracy) and 118 (concealing design to commit offence) of IPC.
Tension prevailed outside the court as a large number of CPI(M) workers gathered and demonstrated against his arrest. The protest turned violent with the crowd pelting stones at police vehicles, prompting police to cane-charge and burst tear gas shells to disperse them.
A school teacher, Mohanan is the first district-level leader to be arrested by the special investigation team set up to probe the May 4 brutal murder, though several area, local and branch level CPI(M) activists have already been remanded in the politically sensitive case.
Chandrasekharan once a key CPI(M) functionary in the Communist stronghold Onjiyam near Vatakara floated the Revolutionary Marxist Party and was killed by a hit squad but police suspected a "conspiracy" by some CPI(M) functionaries, a charge which the party has persistently rejected.
Condemning the arrest, CPI(M) central committee member E P Jayarajan accused police of acting in tune with the plan drew up by the Congress-led UDF Government to "frame" the party.
Chandrasekharan`s widow, Rema, said the RMP`s contention that the murder was plotted by CPI(M) was getting vindicated day by day.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Prashant Bhushan questions Arvind Kejriwal on Lokpal through press conference
- PM Modi addresses the nation during Maan Ki baat
- Delhi police arrests BSF personnel, ISI operative for espionage
- Exclusive: Prakash Javadekar's views on issue of climate change before UN summit
- Kerala's Sunni religious leader calls gender equality ‘un-Islamic’
- Women fit only to deliver children, gender equality un-islamic: Kerala Muslim leader
- Russia strikes down Goa, India from its safe travel destinations list
- Intolerance issue: Aamir Khan's remarks 'innocent', says Rajkumar Hirani
- Arvind Kejriwal backs Tarun Gogoi's claim over Guv favouring BJP, suspects 'coop federalism'
- PM Modi leaves for Paris to take part in Climate Conference