Chandrasekharan`s wife begins fast for CBI probe
Thiruvananthapuram: KK Rema, wife of RMP leader T P Chandrasekhran, who was hacked to death in 2012, began an indefinite fast in front of the secretariat here on Monday, demanding a CBI probe into the conspiracy of her husband`s murder.
Citing the recent judgement that awarded life imprisonment to 11 accused in the case, including three local leaders of the CPI(M), Rema and her colleagues wanted the UDF government to take steps for a CBI probe to unearth the conspiracy allegedly involving some bigwigs of the CPI(M).
A former Marxist from Onchiyam near Vatakara in Kozhikode district, Chandrasekharan had challenged the parent party in its red bastion by floating a parallel left outfit. He was hacked to death by an eight-member gang on May 4, 2012. There were 51 hack wounds on his body.
Apart from Rema`s father K K Madhavan, a former CPI(M) member, writer Sara Joseph who recently joined AAP, journalist and human rights campaigner B R P Bhaskar and scores of RMP workers and supporters were at the venue when she began the fast.
The Oommen Chandy government is under pressure over the issue with several Congress leaders, including Minister of state for Home Mullapally Ramachandran supporting the demand for a CBI probe.
While CPI(M) is opposed to re-opening the case, state Home Minister Ramesh Chennithala has said the government ould take a decision after examining the legal and procedural aspects of the issue.
Exposing the rift in the CPI(M), senior leader V S Achuthanandan has backed the demand, paving the way for his admonition by the state unit.
Still it is eagerly awaited whether the nonagenarian leader would visit Rema during her fast risking stern disciplinary action by the party.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Exiled Kashmiri Pandits share their heart wrenching stories
- Basic ideals of Constitution are in danger: Sonia Gandhi
- PM Modi greets nation on occasion of first Constitution Day
- Manjula Vaghela's journey: From rag picker to head of a firm with Rs 1 cr turnover!
- Indian Army faces shortage of field firing ranges in J&K
- Woman commits suicide after heated discussion with husband over Aamir Khan's intolerance remark
- Intolerance issue: Those attacking me are only proving my point, says Aamir Khan – Read full statement
- Setback to Kejriwal-led AAP as MLA Akhilesh Tripathi arrested in riot case
- 10 interesting facts about Constitution which every Indian must know
- See pic: Genelia marks son's birthday!