Chandy back in action after stormy session
Thiruvananthapuram: After weathering a stormy
Assembly session marked by a merciless attack by the LDF opposition, Kerala Chief Minister Oommen Chandy is back on his fast-track mode launching a mass-contact programme that will
take him to every part of the state in the next few days.
Instantly on assuming office in May last after steering
the Congress-led UDF to a modest victory, Chandy had coined
the "move fast and get far" slogan as his government`s motto.
It was in tune with this approach that he launched the
first 100 days` programme covering all the departments,
which, according to the UDF, has been a success.
Known for his ability to endure through punishing
schedule, often stretching day and night, Chandy received
thousands of petitions on a host of subjects from aggrieved persons and made on-the-spot suggestions the very first day of the mass-contact campaign in Kozhikode on Saturday.
With politics turning murkier in the last couple of months
with a determined LDF exploiting them to its full advantage,
the government`s fast-paced approach has been dulled to
In view of its thin majority of 71 MLAS in the assembly,
just one seat above the halfway mark, Chandy and his cabinet colleagues were forced to remain in the state capital for much of the last two months.
Considering this, the statewide campaign assumes political
significance as it is also an exercise for Chandy to put
across a message to the people that he is leading a government
committed to their welfare.
"The response to the campaign has been quite overwhelming.
People of all age groups, from all walks of life, turned up
with their problems and returned greatly relieved," a
spokesman for the Chief Minister said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- 6 leaders were in contact with Dawood Ibrahim till 26/11: Report
- DNA: Complete analysis of APJ Abdul Kalam's life and achievements
- Rameswaram waits to give final salute to Dr Abdul Kalam
- SC order on Yakub Memon huge disappointment, setback: Owaisi
- Last rites of Gurdaspur attack martyr Baljit Singh in Kapurthala
- APJ Abdul Kalam's funeral to be held in Rameswaram; PM Modi to attend
- Yakub Memon hanged in Nagpur jail: As it happened
- Has President Pranab Mukherjee rejected Yakub Memon's mercy plea?
- SC refuses stay on Yakub Memon's hanging: As it happened
- 2 NDA, 4 UPA leaders were in contact with Dawood Ibrahim before 26/11: Report