Chandy calls for amending Cabotage law
Kochi: Kerala Chief Minister Oommen Chandy on Sunday called for amending the 48-year-old Cabotage law, which he claims, has blocked the foundation work of India`s first International Container Transhipment Terminal (ICTT) at nearby Vallarpadam.
"We have brought this issue to the notice of the Central government and Shipping Ministry. Only if the Cabotage law is amended, international vessels would come to the terminal," he said after laying the foundation stone for a Maritime University here.
"While there are no restrictions on foreign flag vessels transporting containers between Colombo and any Indian port, such vessels are not permitted to transport containers from Vallarpadam to another Indian port because of the existing Cabotage law in the country," he said.
Unless the law is amended, the ICTT will be less competitive as it will not be connected to other Indian Ports, Cochin port officials said.
"If the relaxation is not given, the ICTT would remain like any other container terminal and may not attract substantial volumes of transshipment business," an official said.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Heart-wrenching reality of Kashmiri pandits
- DNA: Bengaluru's Mount Carmel college students show country's ideology to Rahul Gandhi
- Proud to be an Indian, no plans to leave the country, says Aamir Khan
- Rahul Gandhi's embarrassment in front of Bengaluru college students
- DNA: Aamir Khan clarifies his love towards nation but sticks to previous statement
- Eat smart to slow down ageing and increase longevity!
- Woman commits suicide after heated discussion with husband over Aamir Khan's intolerance remark
- Intolerance issue: Those attacking me are only proving my point, says Aamir Khan – Read full statement
- Delhi gang-rape: Show juvenile rapist's face to the world, demand Nirbhaya's parents
- Setback to Kejriwal-led AAP as MLA Akhilesh Tripathi arrested in riot case