Chandy should resign if he has any commitment to people: Karat
Thiruvananthapuram: Demanding resignation of Kerala Chief Minister Oommen Chandy over the solar scam, CPI-M general secretary Prakash Karat on Monday said the Congress was setting a "shameless" standard of not accepting responsibility for "what is happening right under its nose".
Addressing a massive gathering of Left Democratic Front workers, who laid a siege in front of the Secretariat here, Karat said Chandy should step down from office if he had any accountability to people.
"Congress has set shameless standards to see that their leaders are not accountable for what is happening in their ministries and offices," he said.
While there were instances of Chief Ministers and Union ministers resigning on moral grounds earlier, the party had now stooped to low levels to protect corruption.
The Congress-led government in Kerala had called the Indo-Tibetan Border Police to protect a Chief Minister, who was facing allegations of corruption. "They are supposed to protect the borders in Jammu and Kashmir," he said.
Former PM H D Deve Gowda said only an impartial probe by a judicial commission led by a High Court judge could come out with the truth on the solar scam and the CM should step down to make way for such a probe.
"The government cannot move ahead with an undeclared emergency all the time in view of the people`s struggle. At least Chandy should step down to come out from the tangle," Gowda said.
For more news in Malayalam, click www.zeemalayalam.com
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is Akhilesh Yadav overlooking Muslims as Mulayam Singh alleged?
- DNA: Why did Navjot Singh Sidhu call BJP 'Kaikeyi’, Congress ‘Kaushalya’?
- 38-year-old arrested for ‘raping’ minors in Delhi; assaulted over 600 girls
- BJP announces 149 names in first list of candidates for UP elections
- My father wanted me to be a man of character: Navjot Singh Siddhu
- Geeta Phogat comes to rescue of Zaira Wasim; hits out at trolls, asks actress not to apologise
- ‘Dangal’ star Zaira Wasim says I am not a role model, not proud of what I am doing
- Assembly Elections: BJP releases list of 149 candidates for Uttar Pradesh, 64 for Uttarakhand
- Serial child rapist arrested in Delhi, says 'preyed on girls for sexual satisfaction, enjoyed it'
- China's NSG stand is neither fair nor transparent, says Defence Expert