Chandy to be sworn in as Kerala CM on Wednesday
Thiruvananthapuram: Senior Congress leader Oommen Chandy will be sworn in as the next chief minister of Kerala on Wednesday.
UDF convener PP Thankachan announced at a press meet that Chandy will take oath on May 18 at a simple ceremony to be held at the Raj Bhavan.
After unanimously being elected as Congress Legislature Party Leader, 67-year-old Chandy called on Governor R S Gavai on Sunday evening and staked claim to form the next government.
Ending uncertainties, Chandy emerged as the sole contender for the top post after KPCC president Ramesh Chennithala opted out of the race.
After a meeting of the 38-member CLP, presided over by AICC observers Moshina Kidwai and Madhusudan Mistry, Chennithala announced that Chandy would lead the ministry.
"The choice was unanimous and has been endorsed by Congress President Sonia Gandhi," he said.
Emerging from the CLP meet, Chandy said the UDF`s slender majority would not come in the way of the Front offering a stable and pro-people administration as the coalition would take it up as their prime task.
Chandy will head the 21st ministry in the state, where the UDF combine wrested power from the LDF, securing a wafer-thin majority of 72 seats in the 140-member Assembly.
Chandy became the Kerala CM in 2004 after senior Congress leader AK Antony vacated the post to take up a national assignment.
Since 2006 he has been serving as the Leader of the Opposition in the Kerala Legislative Assembly.
With inputs from PTI
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- CM Kejriwal shortlists 39 'unwanted' IAS officers in Delhi
- Rajasthan: Gujjars revive reservation agitation, block rail track
- J Jayalalithaa sworn-in as Chief Minister of Tamil Nadu
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Aspiring for more than what you have!
- ISIS to buy first nuclear weapon from Pak?
- Mumbai: CCTV captures assailant with gun at Film City
- Mathura SSP receives death threat letter, message for PM Modi
- BJP now central pole of Indian politics: Arun Jaitley
- Maharashtra FDA sends Maggi noodles for lab testing
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- Haridwar: Hotel Radisson Blu sealed for polluting Ganga
- Delhi: Two killed in road accident in New Ashok Nagar
- Girl in Punjab's Pathankot quit studies for fear of eve-teasing
- Fiji: Floating island restaurant in middle of ocean
- Special: Furious over rising water crisis, people take to the streets
- PM Narendra Modi graces Digvijay Singh's son wedding reception
- Goa Board SSC Exam Results 2015 announced
- Rahul Gandhi to pressurise govt to act on one-rank-one-pension issue
- ISIS close to buying nuclear weapon from Pakistan?
- Manohar Parrikar visits forward areas along LoC, reviews security situation
- There will be no delay in appointing CIC, CVC: Jitendra Singh
- Credibility of Prime Minister's Office restored by BJP, says Arun Jaitley
- ISIS justifies raping slave girls, says Michelle Obama is 'worth $40'
- Arvind Kejriwal to highlight AAP govt's 100 days work on Monday
- 'Unhappy' Celina Jaitley asks Sunny Leone to move out?
- BJP's plan for one-year celebration: 200 big rallies, 5,000 public meetings
- IPL 2015 Final: Mumbai Indians vs Chennai Super Kings - Preview
- Heatwave leaves 153 dead in Telangana, Andhra Pradesh
- CBSE Results 2015: 10th board exam results to be declared on May 27
- IPL 8 Final: We need to be at our best against Mumbai, says Michael Hussey