Chennithala likely to join Chandy cabinet
Thiruvananthapuram: Kerala Pradesh Congress Committee president Ramesh Chennithala is likely to join the Congress-led UDF government headed by Oommen Chandy which has sailed into its third year in office.
According to Congress and UDF sources, the induction of Chennithala in the cabinet with an important portfolio is mainly intended to placate the Nair community outfit, Nair Service Society (NSS).
Though both Chandy and Chennithala have refrained from making any firm comment on this, Congress and UDF sources indicated that pros and cons of a cabinet reshuffle would be discussed with senior leader and Defence Minister A K Antony.
Antony is reaching here this afternoon to speak at a Congress rally to be addressed by AICC vice president Rahul Gandhi, marking the culmination of Chennithala`s month-long `Kerala Yatra` campaign.
Significantly, in recent interactions with journalists, Chennithala has not altogether ruled out the chances of his joining the ministry. To this question, his refain has been that it is for the Congress high command to take a decision in his case as he is occupying the top organisational slot in the state.
Ever since UDF came to power in 2011, Chandy also has said that Chennithala could join the cabinet any time but it is for him (Chennithala) and the party high command to decide.
A cabinet berth is already vacant with the resignation of Kerala Congress (B) nominee K B Ganesh Kumar, after he ran into trouble following a family discord. The Congress leaders have clearly indicated that the vacancy left by Kumar will be filled by a Congress nominee.
Influential community outfits, NSS and Sreenarayana Dharma Paripalana Yogam (of Ezhava community) recently stepped up attack on the Chandy government alleging that the interests of the majority community have been neglected by the ministry.
The Chief Minister, however, has refuted the allegation though he has refrained from openly confronting the two outfits. In the event of Chennithala being made a minister, the KPCC presidentship could possibly go to state Assembly speaker G Karthikeyan.
For more news in Malayalam, click www.zeemalayalam.com
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Indian Army targets terror camps across LoC; Pak PM Sharif condemns
- 7 terror camps destroyed by Indian Army in surgical strikes
- DNA: Indian Army carries out surgical strikes across LoC
- Indian Army surgical strike: Pak rejects claim, says 2 soldiers killed
- LIVE: Videos of Indian casualties on Pakistani channels 'doctored', say Army sources
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- SALUTE! Brave Indian army commandos give befitting reply to Pak-sponsored terrorists
- Surgical strikes across LoC in Pakistan were filmed, videos kept as proof
- US NSA Susan Rice calls Ajit Doval, says 'expect Pakistan to take action against terror’