Chennithala should have been made Dy CM: Kurien
New Delhi: Stepping into controversy over Ramesh Chennithala`s entry into Oommen Chandy-led UDF Government, senior Congress leader PJ Kurien on Saturday said the KPCC Chief should have been made Deputy Chief Minister as it would have helped maintain "communal balance" in the Cabinet.
His remarks came as Congress President Sonia Gandhi turned down Chandy`s proposal to induct a reluctant Chennithala into his government, which is under attack over the solar panel scam.
Chennithala, who has been at the helm of the party in Kerala for the last eight years, had made it clear that he was not keen on joining the government headed by Chandy.
"It would have been beneficial to the UDF government in Kerala, if Ramesh Chennithala was given Home Ministry or Deputy Chief ministership," said Kurien, who is Rajya Sabha Deputy Chairman.
Kurien said he has always maintained that induction of a Hindu heavyweight leader like Chennithala with a key portfolio in the Congress-led UDF Goverment "would help the Congress to adjust the communal balance" in the politically volatile state before the Lok Sabha polls.
Chandy government is dominated by members from minority Christian and Muslim communities.
Party high command is said to be upset with Chandy for failing to manage the two key minority parties in his UDF government - Indian Union Muslim League (IUML) and Kerala Congress (Mani)- which had expressed reservations over Chennithala`s induction as Deputy Chief Minister.
The two alliance members had often stated that as key partners, they too had a claim to the slot, which is now non- existent.
Kurien also said Chennithala is eligible to become Chief Minister, but said that at present there was no vacancy for the the `Number one` slot.
"Ramesh Chennithala is eligible to become number one, but there is no vacancy now," Kurien told reporters reacting to a query.
For more news in Malayalam, click www.zeemalayalam.com
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- India- America joint military exercise begins in Ranikhet
- Exclusive: This is what Kashmir's stone pelters have to say!
- India to activate laser walls on LOC to stop infiltration
- Panel discussion on 'Most Favoured Nation' status India accorded to Pakistan in 1996
- Former bureaucrat BK Bansal commits suicide along with his son at Delhi residence
- SETBACK! Sedition case against 200 Congress workers for shouting 'Pakistan Zindabad' slogans during rally for Uri martyrs
- Did Arvind Kejriwal tweet in favour of Pakistan over Uri attacks? Here is what Twitter says
- Rameez Raja picks all-time XI - Three Indians, but just one Pakistani make it to the list
- This Hindu-dominated village in West Bengal is not allowed to organise Durga Puja as Muslims don't want it
- As Pakistan gloats over hosting 70 Russians, 250 Indian Army soldiers renew bonds in Vladivostok