Chennithala should have been made Dy CM: Kurien
New Delhi: Stepping into controversy over Ramesh Chennithala`s entry into Oommen Chandy-led UDF Government, senior Congress leader PJ Kurien on Saturday said the KPCC Chief should have been made Deputy Chief Minister as it would have helped maintain "communal balance" in the Cabinet.
His remarks came as Congress President Sonia Gandhi turned down Chandy`s proposal to induct a reluctant Chennithala into his government, which is under attack over the solar panel scam.
Chennithala, who has been at the helm of the party in Kerala for the last eight years, had made it clear that he was not keen on joining the government headed by Chandy.
"It would have been beneficial to the UDF government in Kerala, if Ramesh Chennithala was given Home Ministry or Deputy Chief ministership," said Kurien, who is Rajya Sabha Deputy Chairman.
Kurien said he has always maintained that induction of a Hindu heavyweight leader like Chennithala with a key portfolio in the Congress-led UDF Goverment "would help the Congress to adjust the communal balance" in the politically volatile state before the Lok Sabha polls.
Chandy government is dominated by members from minority Christian and Muslim communities.
Party high command is said to be upset with Chandy for failing to manage the two key minority parties in his UDF government - Indian Union Muslim League (IUML) and Kerala Congress (Mani)- which had expressed reservations over Chennithala`s induction as Deputy Chief Minister.
The two alliance members had often stated that as key partners, they too had a claim to the slot, which is now non- existent.
Kurien also said Chennithala is eligible to become Chief Minister, but said that at present there was no vacancy for the the `Number one` slot.
"Ramesh Chennithala is eligible to become number one, but there is no vacancy now," Kurien told reporters reacting to a query.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- When Subramanian Swamy shocked people at a wedding!
- Mumbaikars join hands to save Pakistani teen with rare illness
- PM Modi speaks at Golden Jubilee celebrations of poet Dinkar’s works
- Mumbai: Diamond export company denies job to Muslim youth
- Vadodara: Policemen seen dancing with bar girls
- Coal scam: Naveen Jindal, Madhu Koda and others get bail
- Mirage 2000 fighter jet landing was part of capability demonstration: IAF
- One year of Modi govt: Arun Jaitley addresses press conference
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- DNA: Osama documents show 'Indian brother in Madinah' financed al Qaeda
- ISIS executes Syrian fighter using anti-tank rocket launcher
- Zee Media Exclusive: Kangana, Madhavan talk about their film 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns'
- Zee Media Exclusive interview with Congress leader Kamal Nath
- Woman robbed at gunpoint inside Hyderabad ATM
- DNA: Harmful chemicals found in Maggi, Nestle India still in denial mode
- Is MSG in 'Maggi' noodles harmful for you?
- Mumbai firm booked for denying Muslim MBA graduate job on religious grounds, probe ordered
- Jayalalithaa makes public appearance, meets Governor: As it happened
- New IPL rules could see Chennai Super Kings lose MS Dhoni
- `Piku` hits jackpot, does Rs 100 crore business worldwide
- Geelani's passport application incomplete, cannot be processed: MEA
- CBSE Class X Results 2015 to be announced today?
- Lalu Yadav invites Jitan Ram Manjhi for joint fight against BJP, JD(U) upset
- Littering, defacement to be made punishable offence
- CBSE Class 10 Results 2015 may not be announced today
- IPL 2015, Qualifier 2: CSK vs RCB - As it happened...
- Kejriwal slams notification on LG's powers, says Modi running Delhi govt through back door
- India to soon have its own space shuttle!
- Check rajresults.nic.in: Rajasthan Board Class 12th results 2015 to be declared today
- Check JAC 12th Inter Arts Result 2015: JAC 12th Inter Arts Result 2015 declared on jac.nic.in