Child trafficking: Orphanage seeks impleadment in PIL
Kochi: Complaining that police questioning was causing mental agony to their inmates, a Muslim orphanage facing charges of child trafficking on Monday moved Kerala High Court to implead them in a PIL,seeking a CBI probe into a case relating to bringing of over 580 children from eastern states.
In its petition, Mukkam orphanage Secretary Dr Gafoor contended that the questioning by police caused much mental agony and stress to the children.
The petition is likely to come up for hearing before the court tomorrow.
Earlier, the court had directed the government to inform it by June 30 its stand on the PIL, seeking a CBI probe into the case filed by an NGO `All Kerala Anti Corruption and Human Rights Protection council` of Palakkad.
The petitioner contended that the present investigation is `ineffective` and the truth could be brought out only if an independent outside agency conducts the probe.
The case has been posted to June 30 for government`s reply.
Over 580 children from Bihar, Jharkhand and West Bengal, meant to be brought to two orphanages in the state, were detained by police at a railway station in Palakkad early this month after it was found many of them did not have any proper documents.
The issue had snowballed into a major row in the state with IUML, the key partner in UDF,taking objection to treating the incident as a case of child trafficking.
Taking serious note of the incident, Kerala State Child Rights Protection Commission had directed the state government to take necessary steps to send the children back home.
The children are now kept at state-run juvenile homes of the Child Welfare Society in Palakkad, Malappuram and Thrissur.
For more news in Malayalam, click www.zeemalayalam.com
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Opposition observes 'black day' to mark one month of demonetisation
- Panel discussion over continuous chaos in Parliament on demonetisation
- Panel discussion on the decision of demonetisation
- Cashless transactions increased rapidly following note ban
- Watch shocking visuals - Speeding car rams pedestrians in Kolkata, 3 killed
- Was Rahul Gandhi smiling during Jayalalithaa's funeral? Twitter users share pictures as proof
- Yuvraj Singh-Hazel Keech Reception: MS Dhoni, Sourav Ganguly, Virender Sehwag attend lavish party — PHOTOS INSIDE
- Pakistan International Airlines plane from Chitral to Islamabad crashes near Havelian, 48 people dead
- PM Narendra Modi ropes in Nandan Nilekani to boost process of digital payments post demonetisation
- Reliance Jio effect: Airtel offers free unlimited local and STD calls with 4G data at Rs 145