Christians in India celebrate Easter
Thiruvananthapuram: Christians in Kerala on Sunday
joined their brethren the worldover to celebrate Easter with
piety and gaiety commemorating the resurrection of Jesus
Christ after crucifixion.
Senior bishops gave out the Easter message of promise and
hope during the special church services and prayers in
cathedrals and major churches across the state.
Archbishop Maria Soosaipackyam led the Easter service in
the St Joseph`s Cathedral here.
Coming after the Holy Week which recalls the final days of
Christ leading to his arrest and crucifixion, Easter also
marks the end of the season of Lent when devouts abstain
from all worldly pleasures.
Kerala Governor R S Gavai, Chief Minister V S Achuthanandan
and leaders of various political parties extended Easter
greeting to Keralites living around the world.
Easter celebrated in Mizoram
Easter Sunday, the resurrection of
Jesus Christ after being crucified, was celebrated all
over the Christian-dominated state of Mizoram.
The Salvation Army band parties heralded the day by
playing `He has arisen` in many places in Aizawl and other
places while the Catholic church members broke their fast to
celebrate the Easter.
Other church denominations also celebrated the day by
distributing `Easter eggs` and holding prayer services.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Why did you choose Smriti Irani as HRD minister? Congress leader asks PM Narendra Modi
- Watch video: The epic battle between 'Machli' tigress and a 14-foot-long crocodile!
- Rajnath slams UPA for coining 'Hindu terrorists', Congress accuses BJP of playing politics on terror
- India, Bangladesh swap border enclaves, settle historic dispute; people rejoice
- 'Remembering Dr APJ Abdul Kalam' - President Pranab Mukherjee's photo tribute on Twitter