Church panel welcomes NOTA on ballot
Thiruvananthapuram: The Laity Commission of the Kerala-based Syro Malabar Catholic Church has welcomed Supreme Court`s judgment asking the Election Commission to introduce `None of the Above` (NOTA) option in ballot papers.
Commission secretary V C Sebastian said the NOTA would help bring greater sanctity to electoral politics and end the current practice of parties imposing candidates on the voters without prodding the minds of the electorate.
"In a democracy, the voters should enjoy the right to register negative votes if they disliked all the candidates in the fray. The apex court verdict in this regard will certainly enhance the dignity of democracy," Sebasitan said in a statement carried by the current issue of the panel`s publication `Laity Voice`.
The Commission also wanted the `recall` option introduced in the Indian electoral system. Reforms on these lines were essential to save the electoral system from the unholy nexus between politicians and criminals, he added.
For more news in Malayalam, click www.zeemalayalam.com
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Jallikattu stir: As it happened on Monday
- Naresh Agrawal breaks silence on leaving Akhilesh Yadav-led Samajwadi Party and joining BJP
- India vs England, 3rd ODI: MS Dhoni felicitated at Eden Gardens — VIDEOS INSIDE
- International Space Station – When, where and how to spot ISS
- Flying Jadeja: MS Dhoni, Virat Kohli floored by Ravindra Jadeja's brilliant fielding effort – WATCH