Church shows disrespect to two Dalit youth, alleges
Thrissur: The Joint Christian Council (JCC) on Friday urged authorities to take action against the vicar of the Maramon Saint Joseph`s Catholic church and the bishop of Vijayapuram diocese, for showing `disrespect` to the bodies of
two dalit youths.
The council is a confederation of 12 Christian
organisations in Kearla.
Its General Secretary, Joy Paul Pudussery, said in a
statement here that the dalit Catholic youth, MM Rajan had
died on Jan 10 and his relatives were `compelled` to keep the
body for 10 days at the mortuary as the church authorities did
not show readiness to bury the body in the Church`s cemetery
by performing religious rites.
The church had refused to perform the last rites as he did
not attend sunday mass and had not receivied Holy communion,
Pudussery demanded compensation for the mental stress by
the deceased`s kin following disrespect shown to the body,
from the Church. Showing disrespect to the body was a
a criminal offence, he said.
He also demanded a probe into the reason for burying
the body of one Biju from nearby Kaacheri under the Catholic
Archdiocese here, at the Lalur public crematorum in July last
year. Biju had died on July 11, last at nearby Kaacheri and
the vicar of the Catholic Church allegedly refused to permit a
church burial as his name did not figure in the family card.
For more news in Malayalam, click www.zeemalayalam.com
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Virender Sehwag's reply to Kargil martyr's daughter has taken the Internet by storm
- Gurmehar Kaur reacts to Virender Sehwag's tweet, says she is heart broken!
- Gurmehar Kaur controversy: Twitter turns into battleground after Virender Sehwag trolls Kargil martyr's daughter
- WATCH: Chris Gayle hits Saeed Ajmal with three huge back-to-back sixes in PSL
- Drunk businessman molests air hostesses on Jet Airways Mumbai-Nagpur flight