CM lays foundation stone for airport terminal building
Kannur: The foundation stone for the 80,000 square metre modern terminal building of the under construction Kannur International Airport was on Saturday laid by Kerala Chief Minister Oomen Chandy at nearby Mattanur.
The work on the airport was progressing and the first aircraft will touch down by December next year, Chandy said.
Once the airport becomes operational, it would lead to development of Kannur as a "handloom hub" of the country, he said.
He also said that it has been decided to have the runway of 3,400 m against 3,050 m planned earlier.
Kerala minister for Ports, K Babu said the Kannur Airport, which is the fourth International airport in the state, would be the most modern with all facilities. The other three airports in Kerala are at Kochi, Thiruvananthapuram and Karippur International Airport in Malappuram District.
The terminal would have the capacity to handle 2000 passengers at a time, he said.
For more news in Malayalam, click www.zeemalayalam.com
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is population control next on central govt's agenda after demonetization?
- India-Afghanistan thrash Pakistan over terrorism issue in Heart of Asia conference
- Gujarat: Goods train engine catches fire in Surat
- Tamil Nadu CM Jayalalithaa's condition extremely grave
- Watch: Tracing the journey of late Tamil Nadu CM Jayalalithaa from films to politics
- RIP Amma: Jayalalithaa dies after 75 days in hospital; Tamil Nadu mourns
- Fake or Real? 'Alien animal' caught on Karnataka-Kerala border
- RBI to issue new Rs 100 banknotes, old notes to continue as legal tender
- Airtel’s free 4G internet offer may be a ploy to steal your data
- People want to know whether Jayalalithaa is alive or not; PM Narendra Modi must intervene, says expelled AIADMK MP Sasikala Pushpa