CM lays foundation stone for airport terminal building
Kannur: The foundation stone for the 80,000 square metre modern terminal building of the under construction Kannur International Airport was on Saturday laid by Kerala Chief Minister Oomen Chandy at nearby Mattanur.
The work on the airport was progressing and the first aircraft will touch down by December next year, Chandy said.
Once the airport becomes operational, it would lead to development of Kannur as a "handloom hub" of the country, he said.
He also said that it has been decided to have the runway of 3,400 m against 3,050 m planned earlier.
Kerala minister for Ports, K Babu said the Kannur Airport, which is the fourth International airport in the state, would be the most modern with all facilities. The other three airports in Kerala are at Kochi, Thiruvananthapuram and Karippur International Airport in Malappuram District.
The terminal would have the capacity to handle 2000 passengers at a time, he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Complete analysis of APJ Abdul Kalam's life and achievements
- 6 leaders were in contact with Dawood Ibrahim till 26/11: Report
- Rameswaram waits to give final salute to Dr Abdul Kalam
- Last rites of Gurdaspur attack martyr Baljit Singh in Kapurthala
- SC order on Yakub Memon huge disappointment, setback: Owaisi
- When UN declared Dr APJ Abdul Kalam's 79th birthday as World Students' Day
- APJ Abdul Kalam's funeral: Why Rameswaram was chosen over New Delhi?
- APJ Abdul Kalam's funeral to be held in Rameswaram; PM Modi to attend
- SC refuses stay on Yakub Memon's hanging: As it happened
- New SC bench to hear 1993 Mumbai bomb blasts convict Yakub Memon's plea on Wednesday