Coke plant: VS flays delay in setting up tribunal
Thiruvananthapuram: Kerala Opposition leader VS Achuthanandan on Sunday voiced concern over the delay in Presidential assent to the bill passed by the state Assembly to set up a special tribunal to realise compensation from Coca Cola for alleged losses caused by its plant at Plachimada in Palakkad district.
"There seems to be a move to sabotage the legislation passed unanimously by the previous assembly in February last when LDF was in power. It is almost two months since the bill was sent to the Centre for getting the Presidential assent. It is understood that the Centre has so far not forwarded it to the President," the CPI(M) leader told a press meet here.
A high power committee set up by the previous government had put the loss caused by the plant of Hindustan Coca Cola Beverages Private Ltd at Rs 216 crore.
It was to compensate the loss suffered by the people on account of functioning of the plant that the bill was passed by the Assembly, which was also supported by UDF after bringing forward some objections initially, he said.
The LDF would strongly oppose any move to sabotage the setting up of a special tribunal, he said.
For more news in Malayalam, click www.zeemalayalam.com
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion over vote bank politics on Hinduism
- DNA: Terrorists' new strategy of snatching weapons from Indian security personnel
- Panel discussion over delayed development in Ayodhya
- Don't give any importance to Ramgopal Yadav's remarks: Mulayam Singh Yadav
- Watch: Report on delayed development in Ayodhya
- Pakistan's brutality exposed; `Black Day` protesters thrashed in PoK - Video goes viral
- WATCH: Akhilesh Yadav's emotional speech revealing the real reason behind Samajwadi Party crisis; he was about to cry
- Pakistan High Commission staffer, briefly detained for espionage, asked to leave India in 48 hours
- India vs New Zealand: Awestruck Kiwis witness MS Dhoni driving his Hummer in Ranchi, and photo goes viral
- Naya Bazar explosion: Home Ministry seeks report from Delhi Police; one dead, 5 injured