Cong, CPI(M) playing vote bank politics over Western Ghats: BJP
Thiruvananthapuram: BJP in Kerala on Saturday came down heavily on the ruling Congress-led UDF and CPI(M)-led opposition LDF for creating panic among people and violence in the name of Gadgil and Kasturirangan panel reports with their "eyes on the vote bank".
BJP state president V Muraleedharan told reporters here that both the ruling and opposition parties could not evade the responsibility for the violence during the protests over the issue in parts of the state.
"The violent incidents that happened in many parts of the state especially in Kozhikode were pre-planned. They were part of attempts by the Congress and the CPI(M) to create panic among people eyeing vote bank. Police did nothing to avoid or control the violence," he said.
He said blowing out of proportion the western ghats issue since last month was the result of a "conspiracy" by some groups to create problems in the way of the smooth conduct of the annual Sabarimala pilgrimage which got underway today.
"Not only the vote bank politics, but an attempt by some sections to mar the Sabarimala pilgrimage is also behind the present violent protests. The frequent protest strikes and hartals will create difficulties for pilgrim," he said.
"Our party is in favour of implementing Gadgil report as it ensures a democratic intervention of people before the implementation of the recommendations. Gadgil clearly pointed out in the report that it should be discussed at the grassroot level before goes for implementation. However, Kasturirangan report denies people this chance," he said.
The leader also said the states like Gujarat, Tamil Nadu and Maharashtra had already approved Gadgil report.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Prashant Bhushan questions Arvind Kejriwal on Lokpal through press conference
- PM Modi addresses the nation during Maan Ki baat
- Delhi police arrests BSF personnel, ISI operative for espionage
- Exclusive: Prakash Javadekar's views on issue of climate change before UN summit
- Kerala's Sunni religious leader calls gender equality ‘un-Islamic’
- Women fit only to deliver children, gender equality un-islamic: Kerala Muslim leader
- Russia strikes down Goa, India from its safe travel destinations list
- Intolerance issue: Aamir Khan's remarks 'innocent', says Rajkumar Hirani
- Arvind Kejriwal backs Tarun Gogoi's claim over Guv favouring BJP, suspects 'coop federalism'
- PM Modi leaves for Paris to take part in Climate Conference