Congress always respected judiciary: Ramachandran
Kozhikode: In the wake of a special judge
recusing himself from the palmolein import case alleging "some
personal attack" against him, Union Minister of State for Home
Mullappally Ramachandran on Sunday said the judge has got the
right to hear or not hear a case but Congress has always
respected the judiciary.
"Criticising the judiciary in public is not the
tradition of Indian National Congress", he told reporters in
response to a query on the decision by the Special Judge of
the Thiruvananthapuram Vigilance court PK Haneefa to recuse
from hearing the 1992 palmolein import case.
"The judge has got the right to hear or not hear any
case. This is not a new phenomenon. There were several
occasions wherein judges had rescued themselves from hearing
cases," he said.
The judiciary should go independently, he said, adding
his organisation had always respected it.
Pointing out that it was not right to criticise
judgements publicly, Ramachandran said it might be questioned
at the right forums.
The vigilance court judge, who had ordered investigation
into the role of Chief Minister Oommen Chandy in the
palmolein import case, had rescued himself yesterday, saying
there was "some personal attack" against him.
Chandy was the Finance Minister when the deal was signed
and late Congress leader K Karunakaran the Chief Minister.
The case pertains to import of 32,000 tonnes of palmolein
from Malaysia, allegedly causing a loss of Rs 2.32 crore to
the state exchequer.
For more news in Malayalam, click www.zeemalayalam.com
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Over 60 cadets killed in Pakistan police academy attack
- DNA: Exclusive report on the extreme sacrifices made by ITBP soldiers
- Watch: PM Narendra Modi's ''progressive'' remark on triple talaq
- DNA: Terrorists' new strategy of snatching weapons from Indian security personnel
- Panel discussion over delayed development in Ayodhya
- Explosion in Delhi's Naya Bazar, one killed; anti-terror wing, Special cell at spot
- This is why Cyrus Mistry was removed as Chairman of Tata Sons!
- WATCH: Akhilesh Yadav's emotional speech revealing the real reason behind Samajwadi Party crisis; he was about to cry
- Read letters by Ratan Tata to PM Narendra Modi and Group employees after Cyrus Mistry's ouster
- Prompt action on border pushes Pak to offer olive branch, says both sides need to 'formalise' 2003 ceasefire