Congress leader demands relook at power hike
Kozhikode: Senior Congress leader V M Sudheeran on Friday asked the party-led United Democratic Front government to re-consider the power tariff hike, saying it would adversely affect the people already hit by price rise.
"Already People are suffering due to the price rise of essential commodities and in this situation, the power tariff hike has come as a shock," he said at a pensioners` meeting.
Sudheeran said there may be limitations for the government. But, it could have reduced the burden imposed on the people by promptly collecting the electricity charges due from various establishments and by taking steps to check power theft.
The Kerala State Electricity Regulatory Commission had yesterday announced a 30 per cent across the board hike in power charges for various categories of domestic and non-domestic consumers.
Opposition leader V S Achuthanandan and CPI(M) State Secretary PInarayi Vijayan have lashed out at the government for hike and demanded that it be rolled back.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Why did you choose Smriti Irani as HRD minister? Congress leader asks PM Narendra Modi
- Watch video: The epic battle between 'Machli' tigress and a 14-foot-long crocodile!
- Rajnath slams UPA for coining 'Hindu terrorists', Congress accuses BJP of playing politics on terror
- 'Remembering Dr APJ Abdul Kalam' - President Pranab Mukherjee's photo tribute on Twitter
- India, Bangladesh swap border enclaves, settle historic dispute; people rejoice