‘Controversies should not hamper development’
Kochi: Senior Kerala leader and Union minister AK Antony on Wednesday said controversies should not come in the way of the state`s economic development and even the opposition`s `reasonable and logical` views would be taken into account to forward the development agenda.
The Defence Minister was speaking at the inauguration of the three-day `Emerging Kerala` investors meet, which has been boycotted by the Opposition Left Democratic Front (LDF), as also some Congress leaders.
"Nowadays, there seems to be an unending debate on all issues. At times, it (such debates) is good and at other times, it is harmful for the interests of the state... Kerala is known for not taking rigid stance on controversial issues," said Antony, who was earlier Kerala Chief Minister.
"Debates and controversies should not come in the way of speedy economic development," Antony said.
Among others, opposition leader VS Achutanandan has kept away from the inaugural function, while some other opposition parties and even some congress MLAs have voiced their dissent to some of the projects being showcased at the event.
Antony said that more changes in the state`s development agenda would be incorporated after having detailed and wholesome dialogues.
"The present government will accommodate various views, provided they are reasonable and logical," he said.
Noting that Kerala is lagging behind many other states in the areas of development, Antony said the scenario must change urgently.
Kerala`s position in the human development index as well as literacy rate are much above the national average.
"The main advantage in Kerala is that people can experience safety and security... Kerala is on a path towards rapid growth," the minister said.
`Emerging Kerala`, aimed at attracting investments into the state, was inaugurated by Prime Minister Manmohan Singh. Nearly 1,900 delegates from the country and overseas are participating in the event.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Outrage over Tanmay Bhatt's video mocking Lata Mangeshkar, Sachin Tendulkar
- VHP's women wing Durga Vahini gives arms training to children!
- Heavy rain disrupts flight operations in Delhi
- MP: Liquor mafia attacks police, journalists with weapons
- Attack on African nationals: Gen VK Singh slammed for his statement
- Maneka Gandhi to release Draft Trafficking of Persons Bill today
- Adam Zampa asks Australian media not to call him 'Warnie' - Here's why
- China denies shutting down 109 Confucius institutes in US
- LG G5 pre-booking ends today; listed on Flipkart at Rs 52,990
- Rio de Janeiro police search slums for suspects in gang-rape case