‘Controversies should not hamper development’
Kochi: Senior Kerala leader and Union minister AK Antony on Wednesday said controversies should not come in the way of the state`s economic development and even the opposition`s `reasonable and logical` views would be taken into account to forward the development agenda.
The Defence Minister was speaking at the inauguration of the three-day `Emerging Kerala` investors meet, which has been boycotted by the Opposition Left Democratic Front (LDF), as also some Congress leaders.
"Nowadays, there seems to be an unending debate on all issues. At times, it (such debates) is good and at other times, it is harmful for the interests of the state... Kerala is known for not taking rigid stance on controversial issues," said Antony, who was earlier Kerala Chief Minister.
"Debates and controversies should not come in the way of speedy economic development," Antony said.
Among others, opposition leader VS Achutanandan has kept away from the inaugural function, while some other opposition parties and even some congress MLAs have voiced their dissent to some of the projects being showcased at the event.
Antony said that more changes in the state`s development agenda would be incorporated after having detailed and wholesome dialogues.
"The present government will accommodate various views, provided they are reasonable and logical," he said.
Noting that Kerala is lagging behind many other states in the areas of development, Antony said the scenario must change urgently.
Kerala`s position in the human development index as well as literacy rate are much above the national average.
"The main advantage in Kerala is that people can experience safety and security... Kerala is on a path towards rapid growth," the minister said.
`Emerging Kerala`, aimed at attracting investments into the state, was inaugurated by Prime Minister Manmohan Singh. Nearly 1,900 delegates from the country and overseas are participating in the event.
For more news in Malayalam, click www.zeemalayalam.com
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Essel Group Chairman Dr Subhash Chandra honoured in Haryana
- Watch: PM Modi's 23rd edition of Mann ki Baat
- Vishal Dadlani apologises after tweet on Jain monk backfires
- Panel discussion on Vishal Dadlani's controversial tweet on Jain monk
- Panel discussion on Vishal Dadlani's controversial tweet on Jain monk - Part II
- Kriti Sanon can't wait to watch 'MS Dhoni - The Untold Story'
- Indian women's hockey stars humiliated, made to sit on floor of train on way back home from Rio
- Donald Trump vows 'tracking system' to deport everyone whose visa expires
- Rockets fired at Turkey's Diyarbakir airport
- Colombia peace deal to be signed late September