‘Controversies should not hamper development’
Kochi: Senior Kerala leader and Union minister AK Antony on Wednesday said controversies should not come in the way of the state`s economic development and even the opposition`s `reasonable and logical` views would be taken into account to forward the development agenda.
The Defence Minister was speaking at the inauguration of the three-day `Emerging Kerala` investors meet, which has been boycotted by the Opposition Left Democratic Front (LDF), as also some Congress leaders.
"Nowadays, there seems to be an unending debate on all issues. At times, it (such debates) is good and at other times, it is harmful for the interests of the state... Kerala is known for not taking rigid stance on controversial issues," said Antony, who was earlier Kerala Chief Minister.
"Debates and controversies should not come in the way of speedy economic development," Antony said.
Among others, opposition leader VS Achutanandan has kept away from the inaugural function, while some other opposition parties and even some congress MLAs have voiced their dissent to some of the projects being showcased at the event.
Antony said that more changes in the state`s development agenda would be incorporated after having detailed and wholesome dialogues.
"The present government will accommodate various views, provided they are reasonable and logical," he said.
Noting that Kerala is lagging behind many other states in the areas of development, Antony said the scenario must change urgently.
Kerala`s position in the human development index as well as literacy rate are much above the national average.
"The main advantage in Kerala is that people can experience safety and security... Kerala is on a path towards rapid growth," the minister said.
`Emerging Kerala`, aimed at attracting investments into the state, was inaugurated by Prime Minister Manmohan Singh. Nearly 1,900 delegates from the country and overseas are participating in the event.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Defence Minister Manohar Parrikar stands in a queue at Pune wedding!
- India's second deadliest heatwave kills more than 2000 people
- Jamaat-e-Islami chief announces Rs 100 cr reward for PM Modi's arrest
- DNA: Captain Saurabh Kalia's torture at the hands of Pakistani Army
- DNA: Govt tests Maggi noodle samples from all states
- Check CHSE orrisharesults.nic.in, chseodisha.nic.in for Class 12 (Plus Two) Result 2015
- Will ask SC if India can pursue Captain Saurabh Kalia case against Pakistan in ICJ: Sushma Swaraj
- Salman, Aamir, Shah Rukh in a film together?
- Assam Board (seba.net.in & resultsassam.nic.in): SEBA HSLC / AHM class 10th Results 2015 to be announced today
- Anti-minority remarks by Sangh Parivar leaders 'uncalled for': Narendra Modi