Controversy over Makarjyothi cannot be settled legally: Minister
Kollam (Ker): Amid controversy whether the
‘Makarajyothi’ light visible from the Sabarimala shrine is a
celestial phenomena or man-made, Union Minister Vayalar Ravi
has said the issue cannot be settled legally as it involves
the faith of a large number of people.
People would continue to throng in large numbers the
Sabarimala temple every year despite the controversy, he told
reporters here Tuesday evening.
In the backdrop of the stampede on January 14 that
left 102 Sabarimala devotees dead, the Kerala High Court had
asked the board managing the shrine whether or not the ‘Makarajyothi’ is a man-made phenomenon.
The beacon that fleetingly appears at dusk on January
14 marks the climax of the two-month ‘Makaravilakku` season
from mid-November at Sabarimala. The light flickers across the
skies above Ponnambalamedu, east of Sabarimala shrine, during
the ‘Makarasamkramam` pooja ritual.
On certain observations regarding religious faith in
the Supreme Court judgement in the Graham Staines case, the
senior Congress leader said faith in a particular religion
should not necessarily be a criterion for courts while making
observations on religion and beliefs.
The reported observations in the apex court judgement
that religious faith was the reason for the accused to commit
the crime was `painful,` he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Dadri lynching: Is Kejriwal spreading poison between Hindus and Muslims?
- Lalu Prasad calls beef eating people uncultured
- Why did Indrani Mukerjea attempt suicide?
- Muslims asked to sprinkle cow urine on body in order to be part of Garba festivities
- Dadri lynching: Locals stop Arvind Kejriwal from entering Bisara village
- Sonia begins Bihar polls campaining; accuses PM Modi of 'narrow-mindedness'
- Indrani Mukerjea's FSL report rules out drug overdose, says no chemicals found in stomach wash
- Lynching case in Dadri: Rahul meets victim Iqlakh's family, says touched by people's desire to maintain harmony
- Muslims banned from Garba in Gujarat's Mandvi; Hindus asked to sprinkle cow urine on themselves
- 1st T20: India vs South Africa - Statistical highlights