COP prevents forcible marriage of a teenaged girl
Coimbatore: Timely intervention by the city police commissioner saved a teenaged girl student here from being forcibly married off by her parents to her brother-in-law.
The 17-year old girl, a plus two student had contacted commissioner C Sylendra Babu last night and informed him that her parents have arranged to give her in marriage to her sister`s husband.
Since her sister had delivered two girl children, her husband, a scrap merchant,wanted a male baby and convinced his in-laws to arrange the marriage with the teenager,police said.
The CoP made arrangments to bring her from her house, admitted her to a children`s home and also warned the brother in law.
The commissioner was also arranging for a counseling session for the parents so that they drop the idea of the marriage, sources said.
The girl is being provided police protection while going to school and coming back and also while writing her exams, they said.
For more news in Malayalam, click www.zeemalayalam.com
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Arun Jaitley's non-participation in SAARC won't matter, says Pak minister — Know what he said
- Live cricket score, live streaming: 2nd ODI - England v Pakistan at Lord's
- Acute Zika infection may damage sensory nerves
- Day after being sacked as AAP's Punjab convener, Sucha Singh Chhotepur calls for CBI probe
- Coal scam: Ex-Coal Secy says, don't want advocate whose fee I cannot pay; will face trial from jail