COP prevents forcible marriage of a teenaged girl
Coimbatore: Timely intervention by the city police commissioner saved a teenaged girl student here from being forcibly married off by her parents to her brother-in-law.
The 17-year old girl, a plus two student had contacted commissioner C Sylendra Babu last night and informed him that her parents have arranged to give her in marriage to her sister`s husband.
Since her sister had delivered two girl children, her husband, a scrap merchant,wanted a male baby and convinced his in-laws to arrange the marriage with the teenager,police said.
The CoP made arrangments to bring her from her house, admitted her to a children`s home and also warned the brother in law.
The commissioner was also arranging for a counseling session for the parents so that they drop the idea of the marriage, sources said.
The girl is being provided police protection while going to school and coming back and also while writing her exams, they said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: How Russian special forces Spetsnaz will end terror of ISIS
- Panel discussion on BJP MLAs assaulting legislator Rashid inside J&K Assembly
- Two J&K MLAs clash over beef party issue in Legislative Assembly
- PM Modi breaks silence on Dadri lynching incident
- Vladimir Putin's attack on ISIS making America and NATO nations uneasy?
- Latest condition of Navjot Singh Sidhu: Sherry Paaji making steady recovery!
- FIR against Asaduddin Owaisi for posting objectionable picture of Yogi Adityanath on Facebook
- Bihar has to choose between 'jungle raj' and 'vikas Raj': Narendra Modi
- Salman Khan's songs: Best five!
- Shocking! Saudi employer chops off Indian maid's hands