Court accepts Pinarayi Vijayan`s discharge petition
Thiruvananthapuram: A court here Tuesday accepted the discharge petition filed by CPI-M secretary Pinarayi Vijayan and the six others in the SNC Lavalin case.
The CBI had filed charge-sheets against nine accused in the Rs 374 crore scam related to the Canada-based SNC Lavalin company in June 2009.
Vijayan, as the state power minister, had inked the final agreement in 1997 for renovating three power plants in the state with SNC Lavalin.
He was arraigned as the seventh accused in court. He however approached the CBI court with a discharge petition saying he has done no wrong.
In its statement to the CBI court, the premier investigating agency said that Vijayan had made a trip to Canada to finalise the agreement but no expert accompanied him.
The CBI also pointed out that Vijayan went ahead with the agreement despite being cautioned against doing so by the then power secretary.
The CBI court judge R Reghu termed the CBI`s charge-sheet baseless and accepted Vijayan`s petition.
Vijayan was on bail when court order came.
The case generated huge interest because a CPI-M politburo member had to appear before a court to secure bail in a corruption case.
"This is a huge relief for him and the party. We were hopeful that the verdict would go in favour of him," said CPI-M central committee member MP Govindan, one of the closest aides of Vijayan.
Congress spokesperson Rajmohan Unnithan said he respects the court`s decision.
For more news in Malayalam, click www.zeemalayalam.com
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Pak forces will teach Zee News what real surgical strike is: Hafiz Saeed
- Revealed - How Indian Army hit terror camps across LoC!
- DNA: Indian Army carries out surgical strikes across LoC
- Is it time for India to respond militarily to Pak terror instead of peace talks?
- Panel discussion on Hafiz Saeed's reaction after Indian Army surgical strikes
- Hafiz Saeed threatens Zee News, says Pak forces will teach what real surgical strikes are
- Pak postpones SAARC Summit after five member states pull out of conference: As it happened
- After threatening Zee News, Hafiz Saeed says PM Modi, Ajit Doval staged `surgical strike drama'
- India's surgical strikes: Pakistan buries slain terrorists to hide evidence, asks Masood Azhar to go mum
- Who is Chandu Babulal Chauhan and why India wants to bring him back from Pakistan - Read