Court asks for revised reports on Sabarimala stampede
Kochi: A division bench of the Kerala High Court on Monday asked the forest department and the devaswom department`s special commissioner in Sabarimala to revise their reports on the Jan 14 stampede that killed 102 people as there were too many discrepancies.
The bench comprising Justices Thottathil B Radhakrishnan and PS Gopinathan had studied three separate reports on the Pulumedu tragedy -- from the police and the forest and devaswom departments -- near the Sabarimala shrine submitted last week.
The judges said they were not interested in a report from Thiruvananthapuram (the headquarters of the Travancore Devaswom Board that looks after temples) and instead wanted an account from "ground zero". It therefore asked the department`s Sabarimala special commissioner to submit what had happened at the accident site.
The case has been posted for Feb 11.
The stampede occurred around 8 pm Jan 14 when the pilgrims were returning after watching the celestial Makara Jyothi light, the most important event of the two-month pilgrimage, from a hillock in Pulumedu, some 30 km from the Sabarimala temple in Pathanamthitta district, dedicated to Lord Ayyappa.
Following this, the high court had taken suo motu cognisance of the issue and had last Monday asked the three departments to submit a report.
The bench was critical of the forest department and said there was no mention of who led the 50-member official team posted in and around the accident site.
The court also wanted more details on who gave the sanction for the numerous temporary shops at the accident site and also who was responsible for the parking of vehicles.
Besides, the judges wanted the forest department to clarify facts about a chain used to control the crowds.
Counsel for the state wanted more time to file the report because police officials investigating the case had gone to Andhra Pradesh, Tamil Nadu and Karnataka to conduct more inquiries.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- One year of Modi govt: PM promises to fulfil aspirations
- DNA: Sikh man in New Zealand removed his turban to help injured kid
- Watch: Mumbai cops find new secret agents in housewives!
- Hundreds die as heat wave continues in India
- 2G scam: Ex-TRAI chief alleges Manmohan Singh had warned him to cooperate
- Pranab Mukherjee defends Bofors scam, says it was just a media trial
- DNA: AIIMS doctor removes both kidneys of minor, claims she had only one
- Salman Khan attends sister Arpita's wedding reception in Mandi
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- Zee Media Exclusive: Vidya Balan chats about 'Hamari Adhuri Kahani'
- Para athlete Deepa Malik complains of callous service by Air India
- Smriti Irani visits Amethi, promises to pay insurance money to 25,000 women
- One year of Modi govt: Amit Shah addresses media
- Mumbai Film City shoot-out: CCTV footage help police arrest assailants
- Mathura rally: PM Modi's ten power-packed dialogues
- One year of NDA govt: PM Modi writes open letter to nation, promises to transform India
- World optimistic about India: PM Narendra Modi on 1 year of NDA govt
- MSBSHSE Class 12th HSC results 2015 to be declared at 1pm tomorrow
- Arpita-Aayush wedding reception: Salman Khan spreads love in Mandi, says `hum aapke hain`
- Bharatiya Janata Party lacks majority for Ram Temple, Article 370: Amit Shah
- Rahul Gandhi takes a dig at one year of Modi govt, wishes 'happy birthday' to 'suit-boot ki sarkar'
- AAP govt moves resolution against MHA notification: As it happened
- Heatwave kills 90 more in Andhra, Telangana; toll crosses 800
- UBSE Results 2015 (ubse.uk.gov.in): Uttarakhand 12th Result 2015 to be announced today at 11 AM
- Gujjars adamant on holding talks in Bayana; rail tracks remain blocked
- CBSE 10th result to be declared tomorrow
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- CBSE Class X Board Results 2015 to declared tomorrow
- What couldn't be done in last 10 years, NDA govt did in one year: Smriti Irani in Amethi
- Check mahresult.nic.in for Maharashtra HSC Result 2015 to be announced at 1 pm on May 27