Court awards death to Soumya’s killer
Thrissur: A Fast Track court here on Friday sentenced the accused in the sensational murder case of Soumya who was pushed out of a moving train, raped and killed in February this year.
Judge Raveendra Babu had found the accused, Govindachamy (30) hailing from Tamil Nadu, guilty of the rape and murder.
Special Prosecutor A Suresan had pleaded for the maximum punishment of death.
According to the prosecution, Govindachamy hailing from Virudhachalam in Tamil Nadu had assaulted 23-year-old Soumya in a deserted ladies` compartment on February 1 this year and pushed her out of the running train, immediately after it left the Vallathol Nagar station. He then carried her to a spot along the rail tracks and raped her `cruelly and brutally`.
The accused had also injured her seriously resulting in her death on February 6.
Pressing for maximum punishment, the prosecution submitted that the accused was a `habitual offender` and produced documentary evidence from the Tamil Nadu Crime Bureau of Police that he had been convicted in eight cases in Tamil Nadu from 2004 to 2008.
For more news in Malayalam, click www.zeemalayalam.com
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is Zakir Naik's foundation converted many to Islam for monetary benefits?
- Is Zakir Naik's foundation converted many to Islam for monetary benefits?- Part II
- Why Pakistan commits heinous crime in Balochistan and POK?
- Why Pakistan commits heinous crime in Balochistan and POK?- Part II
- Why Pakistan commits heinous crime in Balochistan and POK?- Part III
- RBI slaps penalty on UCO Bank, Allahabad Bank, Bank of India
- No relief! Court dismisses bail plea of AAP MLA Amanatullah Khan; sent to 14-day judicial custody
- SBI launches debit card-less instant money transfer facility
- Swara Bhaskar to lose weight for 'Veere Di Wedding'
- Investor account to earn benefits on freezed accounts too: AMFI