Court orders fraud case against Kerala lottery dealer
Thiruvananthapuram: A local court on Saturday
directed the police to register cases against lottery tycoon
Santiago Martin and his associate John Kennedy on the charge
of distributing fake tickets of Bhutan lotteries.
Acting on a private complaint, the First Class Chief
Judicial Magistrate A M Basheer asked the Fort police to
register cases against the 2 owners of Monica distributors
and Megha distributors respectively, the agencies that
allegedly sold fake tickets in the Fort area in the city.
The complaint by one Ishaq of Manikyavilakam in the city
said he had bought 10 Bhutan lottery tickets from Fort area
2 months back. The tickets had secret code and the seal of
the Bhutan government, which were later found to be fake.
The draw was to have been held the next day after he
purchased the ticket, but the results were not published and
there was no information on whether the draw was held, he
submitted in his complaint.
After examining the tickets, the CJM ordered that cases
be registered against the owners of Monica distributors and
its subsidiary agency Megha.
Santiago Martin has been in the centre of controversy in
Kerala for the last few months with the Opposition parties
alleging that he had siphoned off huge amounts from Kerala
through sale of lottery tickets from other states by flouting
rules and regulations of the Lottery Act.
While the CPI(M)-led LDF government maintained that it
was for the Centre to take action against other-state
lotteries, the charge of the Opposition Congress-led UDF was
that the state was not using its powers to check the `lottery
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is Bhagat Singh a revolutionary terrorist? : Taal Thok Ke Extra Strong - Part 1
- Why is Bhagat Singh considered a revolutionary terrorist in free India?
- Why is Bhagat Singh considered a revolutionary terrorist in free India?-Part II
- Why is Bhagat Singh considered a revolutionary terrorist in free India?-Part III
- Why is Bhagat Singh considered a revolutionary terrorist in free India?-Part IV
- Even after 24 hours, Visakhapatnam fire 'raging and out of control'; 41 fire tenders rushed
- Efforts to be made to restore NMNH specimens: Javadekar
- Check out! These are the top 10 defaulters in India; Kingfisher Airlines at No. 9?
- Shades of DMK promises in Cong manifesto for TN polls
- Chewbacca is not just a Star Wars character's name anymore!