Court rejects CPI(M) leader`s bail plea
Kannur (Ker): In a setback to the CPI(M) in Kerala, a local court on Saturday turned down the bail application of the party`s Kannur district secretary P Jayarajan, who was arrested three days back in a political murder case.
First Class Judicial Magistrate Mujib Rahiman rejected the CPI(M) leader`s bail plea, accepting the prosecution`s argument that setting him on bail now could affect further proceedings in the case.
A former MLA and a prominent leader from the CPI(M) bastion of Kannur, Jayarajan has been charged under Section 118 of IPC (concealing design to commit offence punishable with death or imprisonment for life), in connection with the murder of Muslim League youth activist Abdul Shukkoor at Keezhara in February this year.
IUML had alleged that Shukkoor was killed after trial by a "party court" after he was rounded up by CPI(M) activists in retaliation for attacking the vehicle of some party leaders.
CPI(M)`s sitting MLA from Kallyassery T V Rajesh had also been listed as accused in the case.
CPI(M) had on Thursday observed a dawn-to-dusk hartal in the state, alleging that Jayarajan`s arrest was a "political act" by the Congress-led UDF Government.
Jayarajan`s counsel said they would move an appeal in the High Court against the Magistrate Court order.
Soon after Jayarajan turned up before police, his arrest was recorded and he was produced before the Magistrate, who remanded him to 14 days judicial custody.
For more news in Malayalam, click www.zeemalayalam.com
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- 24 dead after boat carrying 40 capsizes in river Ganga in Patna; many still missing
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: What characteristics define a true leader?
- My father wanted me to be a man of character: Navjot Singh Siddhu
- Tourists flock to Manali as snowfall takes a short break
- Assembly elections: BJP likely to announce its first list of candidates for UP, Uttarakhand
- Abhishek Bachchan reveals the moment when Aishwarya Rai said 'yes' to him
- India vs England, 1st ODI: As it happened...
- India vs England, Pune ODI: MS Dhoni still the boss; convinces Virat Kohli with spot on DRS call — WATCH
- India vs England, 1st ODI: Ravichandran Aswhin steals the show with huge six — WATCH
- Petrol price hiked by 42 paisa per litre, diesel by Rs 1.03 a litre