Court rejects CPI(M) leader`s bail plea
Kannur (Ker): In a setback to the CPI(M) in Kerala, a local court on Saturday turned down the bail application of the party`s Kannur district secretary P Jayarajan, who was arrested three days back in a political murder case.
First Class Judicial Magistrate Mujib Rahiman rejected the CPI(M) leader`s bail plea, accepting the prosecution`s argument that setting him on bail now could affect further proceedings in the case.
A former MLA and a prominent leader from the CPI(M) bastion of Kannur, Jayarajan has been charged under Section 118 of IPC (concealing design to commit offence punishable with death or imprisonment for life), in connection with the murder of Muslim League youth activist Abdul Shukkoor at Keezhara in February this year.
IUML had alleged that Shukkoor was killed after trial by a "party court" after he was rounded up by CPI(M) activists in retaliation for attacking the vehicle of some party leaders.
CPI(M)`s sitting MLA from Kallyassery T V Rajesh had also been listed as accused in the case.
CPI(M) had on Thursday observed a dawn-to-dusk hartal in the state, alleging that Jayarajan`s arrest was a "political act" by the Congress-led UDF Government.
Jayarajan`s counsel said they would move an appeal in the High Court against the Magistrate Court order.
Soon after Jayarajan turned up before police, his arrest was recorded and he was produced before the Magistrate, who remanded him to 14 days judicial custody.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Nitish suspends Cabinet Minister Kushwaha over alleged sting operation
- Watch: PM Modi delivers speech at Mumbai Metro Phase-II inauguration
- Shiv Sena spills ink on ORF chairperson Sudheendra Kulkarni's face
- Panel discussion on the controversial sacking of Asim Ahmed Khan from AAP
- Haryana minister Krishan Bedi mocks Modi's 'Swachh Bharat Abhiyan'
- ISL 2015: Atletico de Kolkata vs Kerala Blasters - Preview
- India planning to buy Russian S-400 Triumf air defence missile systems: Report
- How Twitteratis reacted to PM Modi calling Prakash Singh Badal 'Nelson Mandela'
- Watch: How smartly this woman steals smartphone, walks away with it
- India vs South Africa: MS Dhoni disappointed about 'gamble' not paying off