Court rejects Italian marines` pleas
Kollam: The Chief Judicial Magistrate
Court here on Wednesday rejected two petitions by marines of the
Italian ship Enrica Lexie, charged with shooting dead two
Indian fishermen off the Kerala coast on February 15.
The marines, Latore Massimiliano and Salvatore Girone, had
in their plea asked the Court to allow joint forensic
examination of the weapons used in the shooting incident by
Indian and Italian experts.
The CJM A K Gopakumar rejected the plea on the ground that
the Italians had earlier unilaterally decided not to take part
in the joint ballistic test firing allowed by the court. If
the joint forensic examination was allowed, it would only
delay the probe, the court observed.
The marines` plea to provide them with a television set in
the prison room at central jail in Thiruvananthapuram was also
turned down as prison rules did not have any such provision.
The court, however, said Italian newspapers and magazines
could be provided to them in the prison with the permission of
The court had on Monday extended the remand of the two
marines for another fortnight. The naval guards were arrested
on February 19 and charged with murder of fishermen Valentine
Jalastine and Ajesh Binki, who put out to sea from Neendakara
coast near here.
They were in police custody in the first 14 days and
had been lodged in a special cell in the central prison since
March 5 after the court remanded them to judicial custody.
The Italian vessel is still anchored off Kochi Port as the
Kerala High Court is yet to give permission for the vessel to
For more news in Malayalam, click www.zeemalayalam.com
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- 24 dead after boat carrying 40 capsizes in river Ganga in Patna; many still missing
- My father wanted me to be a man of character: Navjot Singh Siddhu
- Is Akhilesh Yadav overlooking Muslims as Mulayam Singh alleged?
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: What characteristics define a true leader?
- Tourists flock to Manali as snowfall takes a short break
- Abhishek Bachchan reveals the moment when Aishwarya Rai said 'yes' to him
- India vs England, 1st ODI: As it happened...
- India vs England, Pune ODI: MS Dhoni still the boss; convinces Virat Kohli with spot on DRS call — WATCH
- India vs England, 1st ODI: Ravichandran Aswhin steals the show with huge six — WATCH
- Petrol price hiked by 42 paisa per litre, diesel by Rs 1.03 a litre