Court rejects plea to include captain as accused
Kollam (Ker): A local court here on Thursday dismissed a private petition, seeking to list the captain of
Italian ship Enrica Lexie, whose marines allegedly shot dead
two Indian fishermen on February 15 last, as the first accused
in the case.
The two Italian marines,Latore Massimiliano and Salvatore
Girone, listed as accused in the case, are now lodged in the
central prison in Thiruvananthapuram under judicial custody.
Dismissing the petition filed by one Sreenivasan Venugopal,
an advocate, Chief Judicial Magistrate A K Gopakumar observed
that the case was not maintainable as the petitioner was not
an aggrieved party.
The court, however, directed the investigating team to
find out who had the authority to keep arms and order firing
in case of an emergency.
Enrica Lexie, captained by Umberto Vitelli, is now
anchored off Kochi coast and is awaiting a High Court verdict
on its plea to sail off.
Meanwhile, Italian Deputy Foreign Minister Steffan de
Mistura, who was in the city and held talks with the Chief
Minister Oommen Chandy two days back, left for Italy
yesterday along with his team of officials.
During the meeting with the Chief Minister, he had
requested that the marines be housed outside the prison as
they were military men and were yet to be found guilty.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Analysis of PM Modi-led government's promise of good days- Part II
- DNA: Analysis of PM Modi-led government's promise of good days- Part III
- DNA: Analysis of why every third ATM in India is not working
- DNA: Analysis of why every third ATM in India is not working- Part II
- DNA: Today in History | May 26, 2016
- APICET 2016 Results: (apicet.net.in) AP ICET Result 2016, AP Integrated Common Entrance Test Results to be declared today on May 27 at 9 AM
- CHSE Odisha Plus Two (Class 12) Exam Results 2016 is likely to be declared today anytime soon - Check orissaresults.nic.in and chseodisha.nic.in
- Trump would approve oil pipeline project blocked by Obama on green concerns
- Deep-water search for EgyptAir black boxes to start soon
- Britain plans to send warship to fight smuggling of people, arms off Libya: Cameron