Court rejects police plea for further custody of Bitti
Kannur: A local court on Thursday rejected the plea by police seeking another 10-day custody of the German woman rape case convict Bitti Mohanty, now remanded to prison here.
Dismissing the plea by Taliparmaba Circle Inspector AV John for continued custody of Bitti for taking him to Odisha to subject him to DNA test for the final confirmation of his identity, the court said the accused could not be handed over to police custody for more than two weeks.
Police had produced Bitti before the court yesterday on expiry of police custody after taking him to Rajasthan for gathering evidence for the case of cheating, impersonation and forgery charged against him.
The investigation team, in three groups, have already collected details regarding Bitti, who was working as `Raghav Rajan` in a public sector bank here after jumping parole in 2006 while serving a seven-year sentence in Jaipur jail for raping a German woman.
The team that went to Rajasthan along with Bitti had collected evidence from the jail where he was undergoing his sentence.
A team which had been to Odisha last week had questioned Bitti`s father and former Odisha DGP BB Mohanty, who identified his son through the photographs shown to him.
Another team which went to Puttaparthi in Andhra Pradesh had also collected evidence of forgery of marklists from the documents they got from the flat where Bitti was staying before he moved to Kerala.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Is Corporate Social Responsibility nothing but a marketing gimmick?
- Journalist covering Vyapam scam dies in Madhya Pradesh
- Vyapam Scam: IMA president Sudhir Tiwari fears life threat
- AIB: Polythene ban - Do we care enough?
- Vyapam Scam: Mystery over journalist Akshay Singh's death continues
- Vyapam scam: MP medical college dean found dead in hotel, body sent for post-mortem
- Vyapam scam: Last rites of journalist Akshay Singh performed; MP CM assures of SIT probe
- Photographer captures International Space Station flying across moon
- Akshay Singh's death case: MP CM assures fair probe, lambasts Oppn over Vyapam scam
- Chile stun Argentina to win first Copa America crown