Court seeks case diary in Kerala sex scandal case
Kochi: The Kerala High Court on Monday asked the state police to submit the case diary in the investigation into the two-decade-old Kozhikode sex scandal case involving state minister PK Kunhalikutty.
The court served notices to the state government and the director general of police. It ordered the police to produce the case diary on Sep 22.
Leader of Opposition VS Achuthanandan had Friday filed a petition in the high court, seeking a Central Bureau of Investigation (CBI) probe in the case.
Achuthanandan`s petition contended that only the CBI can come out with the truth based on several new revelations made by Kunhalikutty`s relative KA Rauf on how the Indian Union Muslim League (IUML) leader managed to escape the law by allegedly influencing the judiciary.
The case of sexual abuse of a minor girl, which involves Kunhalikutty, now the state industry minister, was closed by the court in 2006.
In January, Achuthanandan, the then chief minister, ordered a fresh inquiry in the case.
On Friday, Supreme Court lawyer Ravindra Sachar, appearing for Achuthanandan, argued that it had been almost seven months since the Marxist leader had ordered an inquiry, but the investigations had not reached anywhere.
The government counsel said that so far 81 witnesses have been examined in the case.
For more news in Malayalam, click www.zeemalayalam.com
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Delhi: 8-year-old boy dies after falling into pothole
- Woman commits suicide in UP after posting message on social media
- Nirbhaya gang-rape convict Vinay Sharma attempts suicide in Tihar Jail
- Rajnath Singh, Mehbooba Mufti hold joint press conference on Kashmir violence
- Will appoint nodal officer for Kashmiris: Rajnath Singh
- Pentagon probes possible civilian casualties in Syria strike: official
- Actress Leslie Jones' website hacked, nude photos posted
- Afghan forces hunt gunmen after American University attack
- Islamic State attacks Western-backed camp on Jordan-Syria border
- Italy quake kills 159 as rescuers race to find survivors