CPI-M attacks Congress over vandalisation
Alappuzha (Kerala): The CPI-M has hit out at the Congress for alleging that disgruntled Marxists may be behind the vandalisation of a famed Communist leader`s memorial building.
Communist Party of India-Marxist state secretary Pinnarayi Vijayan called the Congress allegation "baseless" and "irresponsible".
"The Congress is behind this, and the Congress statement is not acceptable," he said.
The memorial building of P Krishna Pillai was found vandalised on Thursday morning. Pillai was a founder of the Communist movement in the state - and a poet too.
He died in 1948 following a snake bite.
Congress president Ramesh Cheenithala said in Kannur that the memorial was located at a place "where there is a huge following of the CPI-M, and this has happened on account of the deep rooted factionalism in that party".
CPI-M leader and former chief minister VS Achuthanandan said: "The statement of the Congress describing the vandalisation as a factional feud is most heinous."
Kerala Home Minister T Radhakrishnan has set up a special team under an inspector general of police to probe the incident.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Exiled Kashmiri Pandits share their heart wrenching stories
- Basic ideals of Constitution are in danger: Sonia Gandhi
- PM Modi greets nation on occasion of first Constitution Day
- Manjula Vaghela's journey: From rag picker to head of a firm with Rs 1 cr turnover!
- Indian Army faces shortage of field firing ranges in J&K
- Woman commits suicide after heated discussion with husband over Aamir Khan's intolerance remark
- Intolerance issue: Those attacking me are only proving my point, says Aamir Khan – Read full statement
- Eat smart to slow down ageing and increase longevity!
- Setback to Kejriwal-led AAP as MLA Akhilesh Tripathi arrested in riot case
- 10 interesting facts about Constitution which every Indian must know