CPI-M attacks NSS for anti-Achuthanandan remarks
Thiruvananthapuram: The Communist Party of India-Marxist (CPI-M) Wednesday slammed the Nair Service Society (NSS), a social organisation of the Hindu Nair community, for remarks that the outfit did not want VS Achuthanandan as the Chief Minister for a second term.
State Home Minister Kodiyeri Balakrishnan said the statement by group`s secretary G Sukumaran Nair has now exposed the bluff that NSS always maintained equidistant from rival political fronts in the state.
"The statement by Nair has finally proved their bluff of being equidistant from both the fronts. In fact, we knew what their policy was," said Balakrishnan.
Nair in a meeting with a Christian bishop Tuesday said the NSS does not want Chief Minister Achuthanandan to get a second term.
The Nair community constitutes nearly 50 percent of the state`s Hindu population.
Nair`s statement calling Achuthanandan an ineffective Chief Minister who is interested in personal glory was also criticised by Balakrishnan.
"Those who criticise official posts should not be doing so and it shows what stuff they are made off," said Balakrishnan.
An NSS office near Alappuzha, the home district of Achuthanandan, was ransacked Tuesday night by unidentified people.
Meanwhile, state Congress president Ramesh Chennithala said it is the prerogative of organisations to take whatever stand they deem fit.
"Attacking people and organisations who do not toe the CPI-M line is a fascist way of retaliating," said Chennithala.
The state went to polls April 13 and the counting of votes will take place May 13.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Nitish suspends Cabinet Minister Kushwaha over alleged sting operation
- Watch: PM Modi delivers speech at Mumbai Metro Phase-II inauguration
- Shiv Sena spills ink on ORF chairperson Sudheendra Kulkarni's face
- Panel discussion on the controversial sacking of Asim Ahmed Khan from AAP
- Haryana minister Krishan Bedi mocks Modi's 'Swachh Bharat Abhiyan'
- ISL 2015: Atletico de Kolkata vs Kerala Blasters - Preview
- India planning to buy Russian S-400 Triumf air defence missile systems: Report
- Watch: How smartly this woman steals smartphone, walks away with it
- India vs South Africa: MS Dhoni disappointed about 'gamble' not paying off
- India vs South Africa, 1st ODI: Rohit's century in vain as Proteas snatch 5-run win